Things Just got a WHOLE LOT WORSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things Just got a WHOLE LOT WORSE

I just got a call from my husband and he informed me he just got laid off!! I can't believe it, I swear if we had any luck at all I would probably keel over We are already filed and our 341 is scheduled for the 25th, although I think that will probably be changing since the courts did not receive some paperwork and lawyer is working on ammending things. Anyway, with our mortgage and other bills, unemployment is not going to cut it and I have been looking for work for the last six months. I know we will be getting back a tax return, can we use that to take up the slack for bills? I am just shaking my head in disbelief. Our business is barely paying for itself so there is no money to help there. We should be getting around $6000 so that would buy us some time to find a job.

That sucks! Sorry to hear this!

Comment

Didn't your lawyer address the tax return before you filed? Your refund is basically earned money that you saved pre filing and hopefully you have exempted it.

So sorry about the job loss, tough situation.

Comment

What a kick in the butt. I hope that you have some savings and are able to bounce back from this. Couldn't happen at a worse time. At least you're in a Chapter 7.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hey Broken - So so sorry to here about the lay off... That sucks.
          Can't your attorney exempt the tax return? I am not sure what state you live in but check it out, also you may be able to use a wildcard. Goodluck and I am so sorry.

Comment

hi and thanks for response, I know the lawyer is going to exempt the taxes but I am scared that if I use it will/ could they want us to pay it back? It could sure help us stay afloat for a little while. We are in Michigan which sucks in itself, job market none, to say the least. One very little glimmer of hope is that he was one out of 10 that is not on the permanant layoff, thank God. I wish I had a savings, but we are still playing the catch up game on utilities, we were in denial for so long before deciding on going the BK route that we have no savings and are in the negative. We were just starting to pay them back and now this. That is why using the tax return when it is all said and done is so important. I will call the lawyer in the morning to make sure this is ok also, but as you know the nights never get longer as when this is all happening. Always happens when they are not in the office.

Comment

It's exempted, of course you could use it on necessary expenses, just like you would use your paycheck. It is money you saved from your paycheck.

Comment

Hey guys, talked to the lawyer last Wednesday, or I should say he called me with that lawyer stiff tone. I faxed a letter to his office attention to him, I wanted to speak with him NOT his paralegal. I stated I felt I was getting the run around and needed answers. He called me alright, stated his office doesn't play games, that I call the office all the time and check pacer daily! I was p____d, to say the least. I told him first of all I DON"T call his office all the time, but when I receive a letter from the courts that our case is being dismissed because of missing paperwork- I call, When I get a letter from the courts saying our case is now closed- I call. I also told him that at .08 a look on pacer that I am not checking it daily but the few times I have found things out. I also told him it is my right to do so and also that when the case is being handled this way, I will be calling his office. He threw this line of cra_ at me about he understands the raw nerves of going through this, 41 years of experience, he won't throw us under the bus, Detroit's system sucks, Flint actually talks when there is a problem but Detroit system is not that way, something to do with PDF files, blah, blah, blah. Here we sit, case closed, waiting again, dodging phone calls from creditors, and oh yes DH is still laid off. What the F___, we take 1 step forward and 30 back.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear of your fallback. I have always had faith that when one door is closed to you, two or more doors open. You just have to observe where those doors are. Reading your thread, I can truly say as fact that things will get better for you. Keep your health physical and mental, up and laugh at adversity, the best way to defeat it. GBWY 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by broken64 View Post
                    Hey guys, talked to the lawyer last Wednesday, or I should say he called me with that lawyer stiff tone. I faxed a letter to his office attention to him, I wanted to speak with him NOT his paralegal. I stated I felt I was getting the run around and needed answers. He called me alright, stated his office doesn't play games, that I call the office all the time and check pacer daily! I was p____d, to say the least. I told him first of all I DON"T call his office all the time, but when I receive a letter from the courts that our case is being dismissed because of missing paperwork- I call, When I get a letter from the courts saying our case is now closed- I call. I also told him that at .08 a look on pacer that I am not checking it daily but the few times I have found things out. I also told him it is my right to do so and also that when the case is being handled this way, I will be calling his office. He threw this line of cra_ at me about he understands the raw nerves of going through this, 41 years of experience, he won't throw us under the bus, Detroit's system sucks, Flint actually talks when there is a problem but Detroit system is not that way, something to do with PDF files, blah, blah, blah. Here we sit, case closed, waiting again, dodging phone calls from creditors, and oh yes DH is still laid off. What the F___, we take 1 step forward and 30 back.

Hey Broken - Tuff shit that your attorney doesn't like getting phone calls. These attorneys make me laugh. They don't mind talking to you before you pay them but once its paid, see ya. Then become distant.

Let me tell you that my attorney was doing the sam sXXt to us and I finally got so pissed I sent him an email, addressed to him and told him that I am sick and tired of his office not comunicating with us and that I hired him and not his paralegal. I told him in the email that if i do not hear back from him with the requested information that I was going to call the UST office and let them know of my dissatisification with his firm. We low and behold the phone rang and it was him in a matter of 1/2 hour. He was as sweet as pie and basically his office kissed our azz from then on. I wasn't kidding I told him that its unprofessional and i would call the UST later that day. Try to get tougher with him. Its wrong they we people rely on them for services and they make us feel like we are nothering them when we have questions or problems.

Goodluck.

Comment

I couldn't agree more about attorneys - in general. While you are paying you get their attention and they "work". If you run out of money, by chance, they could give a d*** where you are in whatever business they were handling for you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X