Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 and Claims in Foreign Countries

Hi guys,
    I have been reading this forum for a long time now and I guess today is my turn to ask a question:
    I will be filing for a chapter 7 within this month and then I plan to relocate to Europe since I have nothing else to keep me here.
    My question is the following:
    Is a US creditor allowed to claim a US debt in a European country, if this debt was discharged in a chapter 7 bankruptcy here in US?

Thanks in advance guys.

Which country in Europe? I know that most European countries have their own system of credit rating. However, there is talk that if you want to start a business , the foreign country can check into the US credit agencies for info as to whether you are a good credit risk.

I hope that European countries cannot collect from you after a US Chapter 7. I too am moving to Europe and will post another question soon as a result of your post :-)

*** Visa/MC etc are worldwide, can they trace you to your new Euro destination??
    Last edited by Proxy; 03-03-2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I am moving to Cyprus; as far as credit check and new businesses, I don't think that they can do that for the simple reason that they don't know your ss number nor they identify/require such a number since this number is only valid in the US.
      As far as credit cards, my understanding is that it costs a lot of money to go after you in another country, so if you do not own more that 25K to a single creditor, I don't think that it's worth it for them.

Now the million dollar question which I am trying to find out: Can they come after you after a US bankruptcy discharge? This we still have to find out.

Take care

Comment

Originally posted by yi0rgos View Post
        I am moving to Cyprus...Can they come after you after a US bankruptcy discharge? This we still have to find out.
        If your Ch 7 is successfullly discharged and closed, then no US creditor can come after you because your unsecured debt has been wiped out by the bk court. The debt no longer legally exists.

You said you are planning to leave the country 30 days after filing. Your 341 meeting which you must attend may not have happened yet. Can you delay leaving for up to a month more if you have to?
        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thank you for your info...I am planning to leave after I appear at the 341 meeting..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X