Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do differently?

Hello everyone,

I'm new here- this is my second post. I'm looking into bankruptcy, as I owe $35,000 in credit card debt. I'm shooting for Chapter 7 but would settle for Chapter 13 if need be.

Anyhow, I was just wondering....from some of you who have been through the process and are done,

If you could do your bankruptcy process all over, what would you do differently?

I just thought I'd ask, in hopes of getting some good tips maybe. Thanks!
    Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
    341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
    Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

Other than those people who filed pro se and wished they would have hired an attorney, I can't think of anything that you really could do differently.
    CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
    341 Meeting 4/7/2009
    Discharged 7/10/2009
    Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Honestly not be so frugal, We lowered a lot of our allowable expenses and utilities and now I'm having trouble spending down our income.( I know after the BK this will work out great but for now its difficult ) I learned a lot way too late in the process to have really planned everything correctly. We are at least under the median by a good amount of money so that helps now.

Comment

I would have consulted with several attorneys before hiring one and paying his fee in full. I hired the first one I met with and really had no idea what kind of questions I should have asked him. Now I have a long list of questions, but the guy is paid. Now I'm looking at waiting another 6 months to file and I am consulting with other lawyers. I don't know if I can get back any of what I paid to the first lawyer.

Comment

I would have filed chapter 13. looking back A 5 year plan would have been easy to do. I would have done a lien strip on the second and would have only been upside down by 15K on the house.
          I would have kept the Benz that I had 1.5 years left to pay off.
          I would hire the same lawyer she was great no too ways about it.
          I should have filed sooner. I had 45 K in saving and I wasted it trying to pay debt that was UN payable.
          Chapter 7 07/30/2008
          341 09/17/2008
          Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

I would have filed when I first knew I was going to have to. I procrastinated for a very, very long time. More than a year, closer to two.
            Filed Chapter 7 12/31/08 341 Meeting 2/3/09 No Asset 2/16/09 Discharged 04/08/09 :)

:yahoo: Closed 04/30/09 :yahoo:

Comment

The number one answer to this question:

"I wish I would have filed sooner"

Comment

Originally posted by hhm View Post
                the number one answer to this question:

"i wish i would have filed sooner"
                amen!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse