Silver Lining- sorta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Lining- sorta

Well, as it turns out my atty's office misplaced my non reaffirm documentation for my SUV and now it's too late for them to appeal. Great.

Well as it turns out, my atty is paying my loan off! They are taking the loan and I get a paid for car on my credit rather then a repo!!! The only sucky part is it's 2 months late, but oh well. I am not sure if my atty's office is obligated to do this, but it sure does feel good to know that it will be paid in full now!

w00t!
    Filed: 11/25/08 - chp 7 no asset
    Discharged: 2/24/09 CLOSED 3/7/09!

WOW.. that sounds like a good ethical attorney!

Comment

Nice. A really stand-up law firm.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Nice. A really stand-up law firm.
        yeah really
        Chapter 7 07/30/2008
        341 09/17/2008
        Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Very good news indeed .
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

How much was it, and how does it compare to what youve had to pay for their services? That sounds like a really ethical firm. Gives me hope that I may find one like that.
            1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
            2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
            4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

Originally posted by pcn View Post
              How much was it, and how does it compare to what youve had to pay for their services? That sounds like a really ethical firm. Gives me hope that I may find one like that.
              Not sure what you mean by how much was it? The car? I still owe close to 27k on it and they were 2250 I think all said and done. Yes they are probably one of the best firms in MN! If anyone in MN is looking for a GREAT firm, PM me and I can let you know who I used!

Comment

I've probably misread what you posted originally. Is the following correct?
                Attorney missed filing documents that wold have stopped you continuing to pay for the vehicle. Since they made the mistake, they are willing to pay off the debt ($27k). You paid them $2250 for their legal services. So one way to look at it is that for your $2250 investment, you had a $27k return? That's hard to believe, but if I have that correct, it says volumes about their ethics.
                1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
                2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
                4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

So, who gets the vehicle? Are they paying it off and keeping it themselves (seeing you were not planning to reaffirm) or are they going to allow you to keep it? If they are giving you the vehicle, in order to be able to keep it, you would need an exemption for it or the trustee will take it and sell it, right?
                  CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
                  341 Meeting 4/7/2009
                  Discharged 7/10/2009
                  Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

They may be able to turn it on on some type of errors and omissions insurance that they carry.
                    Ch. 7
                    Filed: 05/07/2009
                    341: 07/01/2009
                    Discharged AND closed: 09/29/2009

Comment

Originally posted by pcn View Post
                      I've probably misread what you posted originally. Is the following correct?
                      Attorney missed filing documents that wold have stopped you continuing to pay for the vehicle. Since they made the mistake, they are willing to pay off the debt ($27k). You paid them $2250 for their legal services. So one way to look at it is that for your $2250 investment, you had a $27k return? That's hard to believe, but if I have that correct, it says volumes about their ethics.
                      Ok this is how it went down:

1- at the 341 meeting we signed the reaffirm for the vehicle
                      2- A month later we decided to not reaffirm and signed the paperwork- this is what they misplaced
                      3- Post discharge got a call from the atty stating that they had lost the paperwork- and just found it, so they didn't have the oppurtunity to submit it.
                      4- Because of this error- they are (free of charge) paying off my vehicle for me!

The 2250 was the original amount for my BK that I paid... sorry I was confused by the question.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                        So, who gets the vehicle? Are they paying it off and keeping it themselves (seeing you were not planning to reaffirm) or are they going to allow you to keep it? If they are giving you the vehicle, in order to be able to keep it, you would need an exemption for it or the trustee will take it and sell it, right?
                        Wouldn't that be sweet if I could keep it! No they take the loan over...

Edit- I re-read my posts, but ya I can see how it looks like I KEEP the car, but no- they take the loan/car.
                        Last edited by SubPrimeME; 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Was there any equity in your car? Probably not with a 27,000.00 balance.

When I first read your post, I though they were going to let you keep the car, and was so happy for you, then you clarified.

BUt then I got to thinking....

What if there was significant equity in the car, then they made this "mistake", and had themsleves a nice car at a great deal.

I know it isnt very probable, but my suspicous mind was goin'-- hmmm, that could be a nice little profit if they sold it after payoff and there was equity or an unscrupulous way to get a car at a good price..

I am not saying that is what happened by any means, just my mind going through the scenario and playing devil's advocate.

It does sound like you have a very good firm behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
                            Was there any equity in your car? Probably not with a 27,000.00 balance.

When I first read your post, I though they were going to let you keep the car, and was so happy for you, then you clarified.

BUt then I got to thinking....

What if there was significant equity in the car, then they made this "mistake", and had themsleves a nice car at a great deal.

I know it isnt very probable, but my suspicous mind was goin'-- hmmm, that could be a nice little profit if they sold it after payoff and there was equity or an unscrupulous way to get a car at a good price..

I am not saying that is what happened by any means, just my mind going through the scenario and playing devil's advocate.

It does sound like you have a very good firm behind you.
                            I think they are trying to help me out, they could have played the 'we didn't get your papework' card.

No the car is worth maybe 13-14k, so I highly doubt that is the motive.

This is still a very good thing, it shows a 'paid-off' vehicle as apposed to a 'repo'd' or on the credit.

So ya, I imagine the firm has insurance for this type of issue, or they know a good car dealer that will pay them top dollar... who knows.

tick-tock though, I have to get it to the atty soon before it get's repo'd! I think they are paying it off this week.....

NEVER a dull moment I tell ya! BK is not for the faint of heart!

Comment

WOW!

That's great! Especially since you get a little bonus to your CR.

Nice to see that people still have morals, even attorneys

Just joshin' all you attorneys out there!

Seems like they certainly deserve your referrals. Goes to show you that doing the right thing is best in the long run.

Kudos to your law firm!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X