can someone help me calm down?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can someone help me calm down?!

I filed for chapter 7 and my 341 meeting is tomorrow morning. I've been reading online and everything says it's a breeze and not to worry, but I am. I am not married, but live with my boyfriend and our 3 kids. I filed pro se, but my step-father who is a bankruptcy lawyer helped me with filling out the paperwork and will be at the meeting with me tomorrow. In my papers I put that my boyfriend gave me a certain amount of money each week to pay bills, (which is the truth). I am wondering though if I need to bring his paystubs with me tomorrow or proof of HIS income, because I have none for myself. My step-father says no because we are not married. What knid of questions is the trustee going to ask me? About how long will I have to talk to him? Will he be nice or will he be trying to catch me doing something wrong? I am freaking out and I am so scared it would really help if someone who has been through this could explain what will happen a little tomorrow. Thank you!

Ok, take a deep breath and think about something warm and fuzzy. Here is the trick, ask your self what is the worst that could happen. And then ask "Can you live with the worse case scenario?

What is the worst that can happen? They ask you for your Bf's paystubs? No biggie, you just get them. First off, you do have a lawyer and he can usually answer most of the questions and take most of the heat if any. He will know how your district works better than anybody. Each district and each state can be totally different. I would ask him a list of questions.

If you are not hiding anything and are truthful then you will be fine. These people can smell a rat and are usually seaoned enough to tell when you aren't being truthful. Just smile and think of how happy you will be when its over and just answer all questions truthfully. If you are n't hiding anything then don't even think about the question, just answer it truthfully. You will be just fine.

PS. if you are hiding something then you had better come clean with your lawyer and figure out a game plan.
    Last edited by Brighterdays; 03-29-2009, 09:31 AM.

Comment

thanks

I know I just need to relax, I did everything I was supposed to and I'll feel so much better once it's over. I just get nervous when I have to speak in front of people and I don't want to feel uncomfortable, because then I think I will look too nervous and the trustee might think I am not being truthful because I look so scared. Does that make sense??

Comment

Makes perfect sense. However, you need not have any fear or apprehension. At the point of the 341 Meeting, "it is what it is". Probably 95% of people breeze through it with only the standard questions being asked. Since your step-father will appear with you, he will make sure it stays on track.

If you haven't received any letters or notices from the Trustee, then you are probably in that group of 95% where it's a breeze! If the Trustee had serious issues or questions about your petition (filing), they would have already contacted you.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Just take a deep breath, and be yourself. If you don't make it an issue they won't. Most (what I have read) are there just to do a job and collect a paycheck. Remember, they have probably seen it all. IF you lawyer prepares you properly, then it should go smoothly. almost all of the people who have had trouble have brought it on themselves. The majority of the cases go without a hitch. Your best bet is to browse through all the threads on here. that is what i have been doing for the last 2 months. it has really comforted me to see, most have had no problems, or if they did they were easily worked out.

My only concerns for me, were minor credit card use without a job. I have been abusive, but still that isn't even a concern of the court, just the CC companies. I TOld my self " if all the worrying in the world isn't going to change anything, I might as well quit worrying."

Just think how happy you will be after its over!!

Comment

Originally posted by missnervous View Post
            I know I just need to relax, I did everything I was supposed to and I'll feel so much better once it's over. I just get nervous when I have to speak in front of people and I don't want to feel uncomfortable, because then I think I will look too nervous and the trustee might think I am not being truthful because I look so scared. Does that make sense??
            make seance to me BUT almost everyone is asked the same questions.
            If you were honest then you have nothing to worry about. Don't bring anything unless you are asked to there is no need for it.
            you have to have DL and SS card.
            I think my 341 lasted 7 min and 4 or those was the trustee and my lawyer BSing.
            Don't think about the worst thing that can happen but about tomorrow when you post here about how easy your 341 meeting went and we welcome you the the 60 club
            Chapter 7 07/30/2008
            341 09/17/2008
            Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

341 hearing

Don't worry about it. I just had my 341 hearing march 27th and I didn't have to speak in front of anyone other than answering yes or no. My 341 hearing wasn't even in a court room it's simply a room inside the court house where you meet with your trustee, not a judge.

Here's a list of the questions that myself and everyone else there was asked.

You state your name, address, and soc security number for the record

1. Have you read the Bankruptcy Information Sheet provided by your attorney?

2. Have you listed all of your debts and assets in your bankruptcy?

3. Are there any changes or corrections that need to be made?

4. Have you read through the Voluntary Petition for Bankruptcy, Statement of Financial Affairs, Summary of Schedules, and Debtors Statement of intention that was prepared by attorney office?

5. Is your bankruptcy true and accurate to the best of your knowledge?

6. Have you ever filed bankruptcy before?

7. Do you have life insurance policies, 401K, 403B, or any other type of retirement plan for which you have a cash surrender value?

8. Do you have any life Insurance policies that have cash value?

9. Do you anticipate inheriting any money in the next 6 months?

10. Have you sold or transfered any real estate within the past 2 years?

11. DO you have the right to sue anyone for any reason or do you have any pending claims agains a third party?

12. Do you anticipate receiving an income tax refund for the upcoming or present year? If so what is the approximate amount? If you already received your refund how did you spend the money?

13. Has any told you to leave anything off your bankruptcy paperwork?

14. Did you meet with your attorney at the time you signed your paperwork?

15. Have you borrowed or repaid any monies to any family or friends within the last year?

16. Have you made any purchases or cash advances with any of your credit cards within the past nintey days?

That's all that I was asked at my 341 hearing and I watched 4 others go before me and 1 after me and they were asked the exact same thing. They only ask other questions if they need more info about something. Each state may do things a little different, but they should all have similar questions.

Hope this helps out.
              Finally got attorney paid 2/12/09 :clapping:
              Filed Bankruptcy 2/25/09 :yes2:
              Had 341 hearing 3/27/09 with no problems :yahoo:
              Discharged 6/1/09 Closed 6/15/09 :yahoo::clapping:

Comment

Originally posted by lightmank View Post
                I watched 4 others go before me and 1 after me and they were asked the exact same thing. They only ask other questions if they need more info about something. Each state may do things a little different, but they should all have similar questions. Hope this helps out.
                was it a private meeting? or could you hear everyones cases?

Comment

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post
                  Not to jump in... It depends on which District you are in. in most Bankruptcy Districts, it's held in a public room and there are other folks, awaiting their meeting, inside the meeting room.

I've only read once of where the 341 Meeting was held in a "private" room.
                  Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                  Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

JB, Could have been in my post - because here the Trustee takes you into a small conference room, not a courtroom. Usually, but not always, you are there alone with your attorney and the Trustee - all the others wait in an adjacent waiting room. So we don't get to hear other cases.
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Public room

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post
                      My 341 hearing was in a public room with maybe 10 people in that same room.
                      Finally got attorney paid 2/12/09 :clapping:
                      Filed Bankruptcy 2/25/09 :yes2:
                      Had 341 hearing 3/27/09 with no problems :yahoo:
                      Discharged 6/1/09 Closed 6/15/09 :yahoo::clapping:

Comment

Missnervous

How did it go?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X