Renting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting?

I am finially paying off my lawyer on Mon so we can file sometime next week. YAY! However my boss called & I may need to move for my job in a month. I am a little worried, because how can I get an apartment? Do I have to get on that is private? Also can I even change apartments with an open bk?

Thanks!

Yes, you can get a new apartment inside BK as it's not considered new debt. You will probably have an easier time going through Craigslist and finding owners (not real estate agents or management companies) as they tend to be more forgiving about yoru Bankruptcy.

You will need to be prepared to offer a decent deposit for security (two months) and the first month's rent. That will generally get you what you want. Just be honest and BEFORE they pull your credit, let them know that you filed, but make sure you word it in such a way that you are stable.

I told a prior landlord that I filed to save my rental property (which I did). I also showed him how I worked at the same job for 10 years, and it was a well paying job. I got in with just first and last month's rent. This was a $2000/month single family home on top of that, so it wasn't something I settled for.

Know thyself.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X