Hello from Vermont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Vermont

First, I want to say that this community is great. I have been a watcher and reader of this forum for about 3 weeks now and I just barely signed up for an account. It's great to see so many people in support of one another.

I have been thinking about Bankruptcy for about a year now; have roughly $28,000 in unsecured debt and even though I have been on time with my payments, I am getting no where on paying them down. Plus, I am using 3 of my credit cards each month to pay for diapers (have 2 daughters) and gas for my car and mini-van.

For a few years, I was doing OK because I had the income from my job and I was making money from a few websites that I made and even some stuff I did no eBay, but back in October, I was banned from the affiliate company I was working with and eBay is over-saturated in the area I was selling in and could not make a profit. I also owe eBay quite a bit in fee's, but can't pay them because I do not have the money. Let's just say, my money making days on the internet are over for a while, until I find something a little more stable and learn more about doing business online.

After a lot of thought and consideration, I think I am going to contact a lawyer either Monday or Tuesday for a meeting. I know I am way under when it comes to the means test, which is good. I don't own a home and I am the only one bringing home a paycheck in my family. My wife stays at home with our 2 daughters.

I notice that there are a few Vermonters on this board and wondered who (if you can mention a name) you used as a lawyer in Vermont when filing for Chapter 7. In the phone book, there aren't a lot of Bankruptcy Lawyers listed and one I contacted a few weeks back through e-mail works out of Middlebury and I live in Burlington. I would like to find a lawyer in Burlington if possible, because the court house is in Burlington. I really don't want to have to travel to the Rutland court house if I go with the Middlebury lawyer.

I know of one Bankruptcy Lawyer in Burlington and he sounds reputable; doing them for 20+ years, but I don't know what he charges for a Chapter 7 case. I will know more when I call.

If you can mention names and don't mind sharing, I would appreciate it.

Looking forward to being an active member of the forum
    Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
    341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
    Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
    Discharged - 10/06/2009

Originally posted by WillinVT View Post
    I notice that there are a few Vermonters on this board and wondered who (if you can mention a name) you used as a lawyer in Vermont when filing for Chapter 7. ... If you can mention names and don't mind sharing, I would appreciate it.
    Welcome out of lurk mode, Will - glad you decided to jump in and post.

Posting actual lawyer and trustee names here in the open forums is not allowed. If VT members have suggestions for you, they can send you a private message with that information. If you disabled receiving PMs when you joined, you can undo that by editing your User CP (see link on far left of the blue menu bar at the top of the screen).

Another good option is to contact the VT state bar association and ask for referrals to experienced Ch 7 lawyers in your area. Scroll down to Vermont to find their contact information - http://www.abanet.org/barserv/stlobar.html

Good luck! Keep asking questions here - we'll help you sort things out as best we can.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget