How closely do they look at bank accts etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How closely do they look at bank accts etc

we will be converting from a 13 to a 7 in Illinois in the next month or so.
    How long back do they look at checking/savings accts?

Why?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I've heard three months...but if there is something fishy I have heard up to two years...look for 3-6 (from what I hear) if you are "legit".
      $70k- Unsecured Debt
      $88k- Secured Debt (HELOC/2nd)
      $200k- Land investment gone bad. (Land secured)
      1st- $366k / House Value- $300k

Comment

The trustee wanted 90 days worth of Banking statements from me (3 months). She looked very closely at them I must say. She had transactions highlighted that she wanted specific details on. I think it just all depends, my case is a no asset case. You have to be very carefully, any checks for large amounts... they are going to want details on.

Filed 02.15.2009
        341 Meeting 03.25.2009 No Assets
        Chapter 7

Comment

I provide 6 months of bank statements to my attorney. The trustee asked for 3 months worth going backward from the day of filing. The trustee also wanted explanations for any withdrawals over $600 on those statements.
          Filed C7: 12/16/08; 341 Meeting: 1/22/09
          Last Day for Objections: 3/23/09 (No Objections)
          Discharged: 4/3/09
          Closed: 3/23/10

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
            Why?

answer a question with a question....
            "I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care"
            Filed Chapter 7 January 25th 2010
            341 Hearing March 4th 2010
            Discharged May 10th 2010

Comment

Originally posted by AshShep01 View Post
              She had transactions highlighted that she wanted specific details on.

You have to be very carefully, any checks for large amounts... they are going to want details on.
              If you don't mind my asking, what were the amount sizes of deposits that peaked your trustee's curiousity? Largest & Smallest?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by westchiburbs View Post
                we will be converting from a 13 to a 7 in Illinois in the next month or so.
                How long back do they look at checking/savings accts?
                I had to go back 6 months.
                Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                341 09/17/2008
                Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by BornAgain View Post
                  If you don't mind my asking, what were the amount sizes of deposits that peaked your trustee's curiousity? Largest & Smallest?

Thanks.
                  it's more where it came from and where did it go then the size.
                  Chapter 7 07/30/2008
                  341 09/17/2008
                  Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

DH and I had to give 6 months of bank statements. I don't know if was that the attorney wanted that many months or if it was the trustee. I never asked. I tried to not ask too many questions that weren't all that relevant. Knowing me if I had know that it was the trustee, I would have worried myself sick and obsessed over 'why'?

Comment

Do they look at CC statements?

Comment

Yes they look at cc statements. It appears that if you are over median the lookback period is a little longer than if you are under median income.

For me they looked at 2 yrs bank statements and 2 yrs cc statements 4 yrs tax returns etc etc.
                        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreRed View Post
                          I provide 6 months of bank statements to my attorney. The trustee asked for 3 months worth going backward from the day of filing. The trustee also wanted explanations for any withdrawals over $600 on those statements.
                          Do you mean a one time withdrawal of $600 or a bunch of withdrawals that totaled $600.

I ask because I purchased a few big ticket items (told they were justifiable by attorney - bunk bed, computer, etc) with my tax return so those are big chunks taken out via debit purchases.

I also withdraw cash every weekend....on my husband's days off, we are out and need spending money, etc, but I don't always use the debit card...Is this bad? Will they think I am hiding cash, or do I need to save every receipt (Hope not cuz I already haven't been saving any )

How closely do they look at amounts like 100 or 200 cash back at the store when I know were going out to grab food with the kids or something?
                          waiting to file in july-august,
                          waiting for Chase to begin foreclosure,
                          waiting for cc's to begin lawsuits,
                          just waiting (& "afraid")...

Comment

So, am I understanding this right?

They would like clear answers on deposts and checks paid out. They may question who the checks were written to and why.

They want to know where the money going in is coming from.

Is that correct?

How about an overdrawn account? How is that viewed? Returned checks? How do they see them?

I understand seeing all the cc statements to see history of when & what was purchased to avoid the "presumption of abuse" Thankfully all our debt is old debt that just kept growing like a bad weed, so nothing charged, just mounting interest each month and high min payments due. With a large decline in income, we just could not hold it all together anymore.

Comment

I will be filing next week and my attorney says NO bank statements are needed. None. Nada. Not for one month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years or infinity. None. I had to ask several times if she was sure because I was reading otherwise online. She's been filing in my county for more than 4 years and says the trustee's just not been asking for them in this jurisdiction.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X