Furniture repo after discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Floridagail View Post
    I sent you Pm, do not know where it went . I think your wife will be happy. The furniture Company was probably paid by the finance co already. SO the debt is unsecured in my way of thinking.

It went into my inbox. I'll forward it to you, debtmonster..
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I know someone who had newish furniture from JC Penny's/included it in BK and they still have 8 years later. : )

Unsecured loan or credit card usually they don't come for it or show up at your 341.

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
        We're wondering the same exact thing with the furniture we bought from Rooms to Go. 3 leather sofa's, a dining room table and 6 chairs. We owe between $3500-4000. I am paying on it every month right now. We get 0% on it. If we are late one single time, the rate jumps to like 29%. I want to wait until we file before I stop paying on it.

Has anyone heard of the finance company for Rooms to Go to come after you?

If they want to come pick this stuff up, they are more than welcome. We will have no place to put it at the new place we will be living and storage for it will be expensive. Eventually the storage fees will exceed the value of the sofa's and table. The 10x20 place I wanted to rent in Miami was $260/mo. Another place I checked was $277/mo. for the same space, PLUS TAX and insurance!! What ticks me off is that my friend is renting the same space from the same company near Atlanta and he's only paying $90/mo!!! Why are they ripping me? Atlanta is just as big as Miami, if not bigger... plus Atlanta has better paying jobs. Why are they taking advantage of me?

I want to lighten the load as much as possible. These people will be doing me a favor if they want to come and pick this stuff up. Less to move. Less fuel for the moving truck to carry it. I could rent a smaller truck and rent a smaller storage space without all this stuff. My wife is mad and doesn't want to lose it all. I don't care. This stuff is cheap. The leather is like chipping and what not... like little chunks are coming off even with the leather conditioner. Maybe the dogs did it. Who knows. Next time I will buy from Haverty's and pay CASH and not get into this debt trap. This will be a major learning experience.

If you're filing, then stop paying on it. Why are you still paying? Who cares if they jack up the interst if you going to file on them?

Comment

The only furniture company that I know of that tries to get back their stuff aggressively if you stop paying is Rent A Center. And if you file on them, then they have to show up at the 341 meeting to dispute it and I doubt they do.

Comment

My friend told me that some lawyer came for a 3 year old $500 TV at his 341 wanting to know where it went.

What happens if we sold everything for $200? Would we get in trouble? What if you don't have receipts? Somebody just responds from Craigslist and comes by with a truck.

Comment

I work for Ethan Allen. I had a training seminar this past summer with the head of Ethan Allen's GE money bank accounts. I asked them that exact question. (Because I have furniture that I have not paid for from other stores & wanted to know because I am entering BK too)

I was told absolutly not. They will never repossess your furniture. This is Ethan Allen/GE money's policy. They want nothing to do with trying to sell your used furniture.
              Other stores I don't know. But I know with them you are good, don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by irapdp View Post
                I work for Ethan Allen. I had a training seminar this past summer with the head of Ethan Allen's GE money bank accounts. I asked them that exact question. (Because I have furniture that I have not paid for from other stores & wanted to know because I am entering BK too)

I was told absolutly not. They will never repossess your furniture. This is Ethan Allen/GE money's policy. They want nothing to do with trying to sell your used furniture.
                I hope Rooms to Go is the same way. I can't remember who they use as financing.

Comment

DM, if you still have the card or the statements, it will be on there in small print. Could be CitiFinancial, but I'm not sure.
                  Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                  Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by irapdp View Post

Thank you for the info. I'm not trying to be greedy or get over on something, but honestly, the table has sentimental value to me (long story), I don't really have much to my name now to begin with..it would just feel so demeaning (worse than going bkrupt) to have what little I have left taken.

Comment

I am out of town right now but it may be CitiFinancial. Thanks.

Comment

My rooms to go was financed by CitiFinancial. So Rooms to Go got paid. CitiFin do not want the furniture.
                        chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

We had furniture from Rooms to Go and financed thru citifinancial. We had one of those buy now no interest no payments for 18 months. We filed 2 years later and had really only paid interest only. We were discharged in November, closed April 27th. No one showed at the 341 meeting and no one has come knocking at the door. We still have all the furniture and I really didn't care if they came and took it or not. Our attorney told us no one wants our used furniture. They can't sell the new stuff, let alone our old stuff! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Doneygalpb View Post
                            We had furniture from Rooms to Go and financed thru citifinancial. We had one of those buy now no interest no payments for 18 months. We filed 2 years later and had really only paid interest only. We were discharged in November, closed April 27th. No one showed at the 341 meeting and no one has come knocking at the door. We still have all the furniture and I really didn't care if they came and took it or not. Our attorney told us no one wants our used furniture. They can't sell the new stuff, let alone our old stuff! Good luck.
                            You have no idea what a relief it is to hear this.

Comment

Glad I could help. I know it is a crazy, nerve racking time. My imagination would take off and go into the deep end worrying about who would come knocking and what they were going to take. I felt like anything was possible and nothing was safe. But after all is done, it was soooooo worth it. We are in control of our financial future again, not the creditors or the trustee. You will feel empowered! Just take it a day at a time. Good luck!

Comment

I am now taking pills for depression since it's getting so bad. The repo man has been trying to get hold of us for weeks, but we're never home as we're over 300 miles away staying at relatives. Every time we go back to check the mail and bring stuff to our relatives, a card is left on our door from the repo man wanting our SUV which is about 4 months past due.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X