No announcement yet.

Furniture repo after discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been there. I was put on zoloft first then on to zanex for anxiety and depression. I would be on here at 2:00 in the morning looking for answers to problems that hadn't happened yet! Before 7:00 am I had my whole house clean and the laundry hung outside to dry! Worry, worry, worry is all I did. It affected my whole life with family and friends and work. I just wanted to sleep my way thru the whole process and it felt like it would never end. It will end. Let them take the vehicle. With the deals that are out there now you can get some amazing new cars like Jessegirl on here did right after discharge! I saw an ad where you can get some kind of Kia -brand new for $7000! Amazing. I can not begin to tell you how amazing two little words changed my whole outlook on life.....DISCHARGE and CLOSED! It will get better. Just hang in there. Come back on this forum often for insight and support. It helped me tremendously.

Comment

Yep... my issue is that I need to be able to put away a lot of money. I want to buy something for CASH MONEY and NOT FINANCE. I am learning a good life lesson here. I don't want to pay interest on anything ever again. If I don't have the cash, I don't buy it. That goes for cars or anything else.

It may take me a good year and a half to save up for a car I want. I want something that's used, but almost like brand spanking new. You have to look high and low for those deals.

Have any of you ever checked out the Smart Fortwo cars?

Comment

We are doing the Dave Ramsey way with our finances now. Ever read one of his books? Pretty good advise. We too decided not to buy anything on credit ever again including cars. We either save up for it or we do not need it! I have seen those smart cars around town here. They are tiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Doneygalpb View Post
          We are doing the Dave Ramsey way with our finances now. Ever read one of his books? Pretty good advise. We too decided not to buy anything on credit ever again including cars. We either save up for it or we do not need it! I have seen those smart cars around town here. They are tiny!
          But imagine if gas goes up to $4.25/gallon! It's only $30 to fill up!

I rented one and it was a blast. I want to buy one now. The prices vary widely. A new one can be very expensive but a slightly used one can save you anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000.

Comment

I had a loan out on furniture from American General. We purchased it barely 90 days prior to filing. They didn't come after my stuff. It was already used. They won't come after it.
            Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
            341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
            Last day for objections: 7-14-08
            Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

I heard Sears, Discover and Amex are not like that. They like to take stuff back just out of spite. My step-father drives trash trucks and has seen tons of like-new stuff thrown in the dump by Sears. They'd rather throw it in the trash than know that you got it free.

Comment

Had my 341 this morning. Thank god GE nor EA showed up. I think it's going to be okay, my family will not end up eating on the floor after all. : )

Comment

Originally posted by bnkrptinva View Post
                  Had my 341 this morning. Thank god GE nor EA showed up. I think it's going to be okay, my family will not end up eating on the floor after all. : )
                  EA? Electronic Arts? Do they want software or games back?

"E.A. Sports... It's in the Game!"

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
                    EA? Electronic Arts? Do they want software or games back?

"E.A. Sports... It's in the Game!"
                    LOL, Ethan Allen.

I wouldn't much care about software or games, but furniture my family uses for the family meal, that's another story.

Comment

I heard Sears, Discover and Amex are not like that. They like to take stuff back just out of spite. My step-father drives trash trucks and has seen tons of like-new stuff thrown in the dump by Sears. They'd rather throw it in the trash than know that you got it free.
                      I knew Sears will sometimes come after you for their items but AMEX and DISCOVER....I didn't think they had that ability. How could they have interest in the things you buy using their card? Do you think they will want back my dinner at Chili's......I will give it to them!!!!
                      Southern District of Florida
                      Filed Ch 7 - 8/6/09 341 - 9/14/09
                      Report of No Distribution - 9/18/09
                      DISCHARGE ! 11/23/09 Closed 12/8/09

Comment

Just to clarify some things. Liens survive bankruptcy (with very few exceptions). When you purchase items on "store" branded cards (like Rooms To Go, Best Buy, Ethan's Furniture, etc.), you grant a "purchase money security interest" in the items you buy -- this creates a lien.

Regardless of any discharge, those companies, unless they filed a claim as an unsecured creditor, still have their lien.

Now that I wrote that... here's the reality. Most of them just move on and don't ever ask for the property back. Best Buy seems to be the only one that wants a 5 year old computer worth $20. There's a poster on here that has a $40K piano that Yamaha Credit never came to get.

It can be expensive for these companies to retrieve their property (yes their property). The ones that do send letters, send one semi-threatening letter to get you to turn over the property. What they are avoiding, is taking the appropriate legal steps to get a Court Order to recover the property.

As a public service reminder, companies like American Express, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, do not have such a clause in the cardholder agreements, so don't have liens on your purchases.
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                          Just to clarify some things. Liens survive bankruptcy (with very few exceptions). When you purchase items on "store" branded cards (like Rooms To Go, Best Buy, Ethan's Furniture, etc.), you grant a "purchase money security interest" in the items you buy -- this creates a lien.
                          So what happens if you tell them you sold the TV or furniture long ago?

Comment

So what happens if you tell them you sold the TV or furniture long ago?
                            Did you?

Actually, if you really read the fine print of those "purchase money security interest" (PMSI) type cardholder agreements, there is also a clause which states that you will surrender all proceeds of any sale or from any use of the item.

Reality, they generally will go away and leave you alone.
                            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Actually, if you really read the fine print of those "purchase money security interest" (PMSI) type cardholder agreements, there is also a clause which states that you will surrender all proceeds of any sale or from any use of the item.

justbroke--does that mean someone could say "I sold the old crapatola for $50...here's the proceeds, now go away" and be off the hook?

I had furniture purchased at American Furniture and financed through them at American General Finance. They did not file anything, and I did not return anything, but for about 4 months after discharge I got weekly phone calls from some outfit saying they were calling about the furniture, that they had a "pick-up" order for it, etc. They also sent one letter, not a threatening one, just a "we've been trying to reach you and can't, please call back" letter. We never answered their calls nor returned their messages..they sounded pretty testy in the end, but we haven't heard from them in a couple of months. I don't know if they'll start back up again or what. I NEVER answer my phone!

Comment

Originally posted by Martha13 View Post
                                justbroke--does that mean someone could say "I sold the old crapatola for $50...here's the proceeds, now go away" and be off the hook?
                                Sometimes I should just leave my mouth shut because it just causes more questions. (Nothing about you asking me one... just me being hyper-technical.)

So, in the hyper-technical sense, yes. However, they would still have recourse to sue you for the deficiency. Then, add on that you filed Bankruptcy... that absolved you of the deficiency, so... they couldn't do that on a Bankrupt person.

I can't believe, in your case, they kept pestering you for the furniture. However, American General is one of those "local" loan sharks (as I call them). They are not too unlike CitiFinancial. The purposefully have offices all over the place so that they can bother you! They are local, and part of their job is to make those dunning calls.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X