top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Submitting Petition tomorrow... New House???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submitting Petition tomorrow... New House???

Hello! I know this might sound crazy, but here goes...

My husband and I are filing bankruptcy (I lost my job last April, got a new one, and was laid off from that last September and have yet to find anything!). We are submitting our petition tomorrow and thus the process should hopefully go smoothly...

However, I have a friend who house-sits for a sweet older lady that owns a nice 2-story house on 2 and a half acres in OH. She's lived in Chicago for 2 or 3 years now and has been WANTING to sell the OH house, but is reluctant to sell to just anyone since it's the house she grew up in etc... Well, given the current financial mess, etc. she is willing to sell it to us (a "nice young couple" for $49,000. I've seen the house, it's in great condition, etc and pretty much what we've ever wanted in a house. We are currently renting now, and would like to eventually start a family in a couple years... And the house is valued at well over $100k... Would it be economically possible/wise to attempt to get financing for this house so soon after/during bankruptcy? My husband's parents may be willing to cosign for us since it's such a good opportunity, but most importantly we don't want to screw up the credit again after the bankruptcy, we want to make sure we do things right.

Any opinions?

Sounds like a great deal, but I don't know who would give you a loan during bankruptcy.
    Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
    341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
    Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

I dont think

you can get financing during a bankruptcy and it could be 2 years after discharge after to get a mortgage, not sure if someone co-signs.... my question is why would the woman throw away 50k? does she not need the money, why would she not sell it for what it is worth?
      B x
      filed Ch 7 Oct 31st 2008.
      341 Dec 10th 2008.
      DiSCHARGED Feb 10th 2009

Comment

2 story house on 2 1/2 acres for $49,000? I need to toss some things at you that you are not going to like to hear or want to hear but are things you could encounter as to this situation. There is more to this than meets the eye or there is something amiss that you don't know about. Also, does this woman have any family? If she does, wonder what will occur when they find out about this. How old is this lady and does she know what she is doing? Who would be selling the house for her; be careful cause if she has family and something like this goes through or is organized/instigated by your friend, State social services involved with elder abuse will come at everyone with full force and charges could be filed. You need to do some hard investigation into this plus the fact that you are filing Chapter 7 tomorrow. You yourself know that getting a mortgage/loan at this time is probably impossible. If this all checks out, get your inlaws to buy the house and in time transfer it over to you with you paying rent to cover the mortgage payments.

Be careful with this one...
        Last edited by Flamingo; 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Flamingo brings up wise questions. Your deal of a century may go sour. In my opinion, ask your parents to purchase it on their own with a surety plan with a Title company, then rent it from them till after the dust clears. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

As flamingo says " If its too good to be true, it probably is" !!

Having been a mortgage broker(in Ohio),I have seen dirt cheap deals. Yes depending on the location you can steel property compared to other states.

1)make sure it isn't in a trust. The relatives might have something to say about it.
            2)Make sure she is of "sound" mind. If she isn't in control of her mental falculties, this could pose a problem in court.

I doubt you get financing within at "least" a year and more likely 2 after discharge. you will need at least 20% down more like 40% before a bank touches you. So figure 15k to 20k down. You could try a lease option or landcontract. just make sure its recorded at the county or it might not be valid if she should happen to pass away.
            Last edited by Brighterdays; 04-14-2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post
              Having been a mortgage broker(in Ohio), Yes depending on the location you can steel property compared to other states.

1)make sure it isn't in a trust. The relatives might have something to say about it.
              2)Make sure she is of "sound" mind. If she isn't in control of her mental falculties, this could pose a problem in court.

I doubt you get financing within at "least" a year and more likely 2 after discharge. you will need at least 20% down more like 40% before a bank touches you. So figure 15k to 20k down. You could try a lease option or landcontract. just make sure its recorded at the county or it might not be valid if she should happen to pass away.
              Land sale contract is a good way to go. I am building my down payment while i am living here.
              Chapter 7 07/30/2008
              341 09/17/2008
              Discharge 11/21/2008

Comment

Originally posted by TEW View Post
                Land sale contract is a good way to go. I am building my down payment while i am living here.
                just make sure it is recorded at the court house. You wouldn't believe how many deals I lost because they didn't have claim to the house cause it wasn't recorded. Each state is different so YMMV

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X