top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the heck did I qualify for a checking account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the heck did I qualify for a checking account?

Hi, first time poster, long time reader. My BK was filed February 6th and should've been discharged April 7th (I think) I haven't recieved my discharge letter yet but I never got any objections from my creditors so I'm not too worried. (I live in a very big district, and just read that due to backlog it may take 90 days..so I'm not stressing.)

Anyway, the question at hand. Sunday on a lark I saw an ad for a BofA online checking account. Not only did I just get a BK but I'm also on chexsystems! I couldn't even cash my paycheck at walmart because of the chexsystems. =(

That being said, I saw this ad and thought "why not" So I filled out the ap on the BofA site, they asked for my social and the reason given was to check your credit. I didn't fudge any of the information and got an email saying that my ap was under review and I should have an answer within 2 days. I thought "Oh, I'm getting denied FOR SURE"

Low and behold the next morning I get an email saying I was approved! To say I was shocked was an understatement!! I thought for sure I was going to get another email saying "Haha, we made a mistake..NO" lol

I still didn't believe when I got a big packet in the mail 4 days later with my new account number. I got paid Thursday so I thought I'd go to the branch and try to cash my check, plus make an initial deposit. Honestly I thought a net was going to fall down and they were going to haul me out of there laughing. But no, I did something I hadn't done in over 3.5 years, cashed my check and made a deposit. My atm card is on the way, lol

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but how the heck could this be? I got on check systems in October of 06 (according to the report) so I know I'm still on there. Even if my bk was finalized, my credit is still junk. Could they be hurting for customers that bad? My moms theory is that if I were to mess up they'd just fee me to death so they'd make some money off of me anyway.

I really don't know, but I feel like I'm reborn and getting my life back again. : )

Originally posted by bkitty View Post
    Hi, first time poster, long time reader.
    Welcome out of lurk mode - glad you decided to join the posting party!

My BK was filed February 6th and should've been discharged April 7th (I think) I haven't recieved my discharge letter yet but I never got any objections from my creditors so I'm not too worried. (I live in a very big district, and just read that due to backlog it may take 90 days..so I'm not stressing.)
    So glad you are not stressing and that you realize your discharge is indeed coming as your bk court moves through their backlog.

I really don't know, but I feel like I'm reborn and getting my life back again. : )
    Welcome back to check writing and debit card land!

We've had members that notified ChexSystems they filed bk and sent copies of their discharge, then voila! They were taken off ChexSystems and were able to open checking accounts again. My guess is that ChexSystems somehow saw your bk filing and took you off their "baddie" list. Congratulations!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

There is a great site run my a lady named Mary, I believe, her screen name is MCA and she has a wealth of info on her site about Chexsystems and getting checking accounts and how to dispute negative entries when you are on CS.

I believe it is www.chexvictims.net

There is a forum and the site is free but I believe you have to join as a member of the forum to read the posts ( which is free as well)

I have read on there that if you apply online with BofA , many people on Chex are approved.

Good Job getting the checking! Congrats!

Comment

Will a bank you currently have accounts with kick you out, if you file BK?

Comment

If you owe them a CC, they could stop your debit card or close your account after discharge. Mine was a CU, My debit card stopped working,
          they said they would not close account but debit card privileges do not work for discharge of debts. My attorney recommended new checking account if you owe the bank a cc account. They tried to trick me into reaffirming the debt. They said they would send me a new debit card and after discharge it would be cancelled. If I reaffirm if would keep working. However they never did send me the debit card.
          chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Be Careful for first 30 Days

Please be careful for the first 30 days. I've read at another forum where BOA routinely does this online if not in the branches and closes an account within the "new account" period which is usually 30 days.

Awesome about your bankruptcy going so well!

Comment

I would not put much money in for awhile. Make sure they come along and close and freeze account. I hope you get to keep it.
              Let us know in a few months if all is going well. Friend of mine,opened a cking,a W Bank, and they called him after 30 dys and said he had to clear up a nsf by a joint user on a different bank he use to have. He claims he was not aware of the 300 nsf ck she wrote. Somehow after opening his account they checked somehow. his account number was there. He paid it off and got rid of the girlfriend. I can tell him now it was probably chexsystems.
              Last edited by Floridagail; 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM.
              chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X