after consoltation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after consoltation....

what happens. we will be ready to file right away if possible, what paperwork do we have to do etc, and how long before we get a 341 meeting, and how do you usually find out when the meeting will take place?

sorry so many questions.

You really haven't supplied any info... asset/non-asset, district, potential problems. Plus those are questions you need to ask your attorney, each district is different. if he/she can't answer them then you need to find a better one.

A helpful hint, write your questions down and then ask the attorney. that way you don't omit any and you look organized and you don't seem like a babbling fool to your lawyer. like some on here. take notes. there is a lot of info that is going to be thrown at you so be prepared. But if your lawyer is competent, then it should go smoothly.

Comment

Here's what I gave my attorney....

Last 6 months of Bank Statements (ALL accounts)
      Last 6 months Paystubs.
      Most recent unsecured debts, secured debts, and student loan statements
      Copies of Federal and State Income Taxes (last two years)
      Monthly Budget
      Value of personal property (furniture, clothes, etc)
      Copies of government ID and Social Security card
      Retirement Account statements (Most recent)
      Copies of closed financial accounts (last statements)

Obviously I have records going further back for all but thats what he asked for

Comment

Originally posted by Brighterdays View Post
        You really haven't supplied any info... asset/non-asset, district, potential problems. Plus those are questions you need to ask your attorney, each district is different. if he/she can't answer them then you need to find a better one.

A helpful hint, write your questions down and then ask the attorney. that way you don't omit any and you look organized and you don't seem like a babbling fool to your lawyer. like some on here. take notes. there is a lot of info that is going to be thrown at you so be prepared. But if your lawyer is competent, then it should go smoothly.
        Agree with everything he said....

Comment

I guess what i meant to ask is, do they give you a list of things that you need to itemize in your home and such...we are going to try to file chapter 7, but we are wanting to keep out home, truck and motorcycle (we are current on everything right now)

and we are about 2000.00 under the median income for our state, so i am hoping that keeps us "safe" from problems

Comment

Originally posted by mamaof2 View Post
            I guess what i meant to ask is, do they give you a list of things that you need to itemize in your home and such...we are going to try to file chapter 7, but we are wanting to keep out home, truck and motorcycle (we are current on everything right now)

and we are about 2000.00 under the median income for our state, so i am hoping that keeps us "safe" from problems
            Who do you mean by "they?" Are you fling pro se or attorney? My attorney gave me a list of what I needed.

Comment

sorry..i meant, at the consol..if you are ready to get it filed and have the money saved, to do so, does the lawyer give you anymore paperwork, to start itemizing stuff in your home for a chapter 7?

Comment

Oh yeah-there'll be paperwork! Don't count on filing the day you see the lawyer. First of all, have you done the mandatory credit counseling. That's required prior to filing.
                Depending on the districts caseload, you'll have the 341 anywhere from 30-45 days from filing and will be notfied by the bk court in a letter as to when and where.

Comment

My lawyer gave me a list of things she will need and a website to pull my trimerge credit report. She also gave me a list of websites to take the classes. When you talk to your lawyer they should put you at ease and give you a list of everything you will need(and probably more). If you don't have a warm fuzzy feeling after meeting with your attorney, or you are still confused, then find a better lawyer. here is a list of questions I asked my lawyer to help determine if they were anygood.

1.) how long have you been a bk lawyer?
                  2.) Is Bk the only thing you do?
                  3.) How many cases did you do last month? and avg of cases over the last year.
                  4.) Do you take credit card? (testing her honesty)
                  5.) what is your fee?
                  6.) Can you take me through the process from filing to discharge(how long and process)

There were a lot more questions I asked but these are the important ones. The big thing is to determine if they are an idiot or not. Trust me there are a lot of idiot lawyers out there.

Comment

i have not taken the pre filing class yet, he told me that i could do that when the consol is done.

Comment

i have not taken the pre filing class yet, he told me that i could do that when the consol is done.

true ... however it absolutely has to be done prior to filing
                      Thank you all so much for all the information I have received on this forum.
                      Chapter 7 filed 04/02/2009
                      341 Meeting 05/19/2009
                      60 day club awaiting discharge

Comment

Here's a link to how to select a bankruptcy lawyer - http://bankruptcy.lawyers.com/Bankru...od-Lawyer.html

The links at the bottom of the page will send you to pages that explain how to prepare for your initial consultation and what do do and ask during the consultation.

The idea you've already gotten about writing down the questions you want to ask ahead of time and then writing down the answers as you get them are worth gold when you are trying to pick your lawyer to hire. It's easy to get answers confused between lawyers or forget what they did say. Having good notes from each first consultation with each lawyer really helps!

The other thing that will help the lawyers a lot is to come with all your income figures, assets with current value and how much you still owe on each, and your living expenses already neatly captured and easy to see. That helps make the most of your time with each lawyer.

After that, it's just sorting out which one seemed the most knowledgeable, answered your questions directly, and seems to be the best match with your needs.

The lawyer's fee amount should never be the sole factor used o make your final decision. It's amazing how many times the best lawyers are not the cheapest and not the most expensive either.
                        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Wait, you have already met with the lawyer? and you still have all these questions? Wow, what did you guys talk about in your first metting? Mine laid out a pretty specific timeline. we talked about some of my past charges also.
                          Last edited by Brighterdays; 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

no i havent met with the lawyer yet, my consol is on the 1st of may.

Comment

no i havent met with the lawyer yet, my consol is on the 1st of may.
                              My bad, I am sorry. I thought you implied you had met with your lawyer. Make sure to write down your questions so you don't forget any. Good luck by the way.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X