Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case dismissed

Hi again all,

Just found out my lawyer is on vacation but before that he sent me a letter. It stated that he is having our entire case dismissed because the trustee continues to want to prosecute. It also states that she agreed not to contest if we refile.

So I guess we will dismiss and refile when our lawyer gets back. What I am worried about this time is that my hubby got a couple of bonuses and we got a sizable tax refund. Can we exempt any of these things? We spent the money mainly on house upgrades. One good thing is I lost my job (didn't make much but it is something).

why was it dismissed?

Comment

Originally posted by Kingxray View Post
      Hi again all,

Just found out my lawyer is on vacation but before that he sent me a letter. It stated that he is having our entire case dismissed because the trustee continues to want to prosecute. It also states that she agreed not to contest if we refile.

So I guess we will dismiss and refile when our lawyer gets back. What I am worried about this time is that my hubby got a couple of bonuses and we got a sizable tax refund. Can we exempt any of these things? We spent the money mainly on house upgrades. One good thing is I lost my job (didn't make much but it is something).
      Gee King, I am sorry that this happened to you. I know what its like to keep fighting and fighting. Are you OK with this decision? I am truly so sorry that you are having all this trouble. I don't understand why the trsutee won't contest if you refile, but will keep bothing you if you don't?? All I can do is shake my head at this one. Again, sorry that this is happening...

Comment

I think we are ok with the decision. The lawyer had previously told us that this is the route he wanted to take. Now they have come to an agreement that the trustee will not contest if we refile without the rental income and the loss of my wages, so maybe that was all we needed to change. I am dreading another 341. As you know at our last one my dad's lawyer showed up and drilled me, ugh.

Anyway what are your thoughts on the couple of bonuses and tax refund we got? Can we exempt those? These occured after we filed the first time.

I guess we'll keep fighting the good fight.

Comment

Best wishes on a successful second try!
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I think we are ok with the decision. The lawyer had previously told us that this is the route he wanted to take. Now they have come to an agreement that the trustee will not contest if we refile without the rental income and the loss of my wages, so maybe that was all we needed to change. I am dreading another 341. As you know at our last one my dad's lawyer showed up and drilled me, ugh.

Anyway what are your thoughts on the couple of bonuses and tax refund we got? Can we exempt those? These occured after we filed the first time.

I guess we'll keep fighting the good fight.

Not sure about the bonuses and tax refund. What are the exemptions in your state? Also, can you use the wild card? If not, maybe you should pay a few months worth of mortgage payments, ultities, etc. Fix some things around the house if you can.

I know what you mean with the 341's, eventhough, they usually go ok, its nerve racking.... I truly wish you all the luck in the world. Just think in a few months you will be done with this...

Comment

Why did the Trustee wish to sue you? Then why has she agreed not to if dismissed and refiled? Something does not jibe here. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I'll try to make a long story short, if possible. At our 341 my dad's lawyer showed up and grilled me. My dad sued us for money we owed him (long story) and tried to garnish my hubby's wages. That's why we filed BK. Anyway because of him doing that it red flagged the UST and she said she had to enter a presumption of abuse because she had people to answer to (my dad's lawyer) and she even said it was because of him. She entered the 707 disallowing some expenses and adding them to our income. The exact same expenses that my dad's lawyer was grilling me about at our 341. We are changing a few things and she said she would not contest if we refiled.

I guess I'll know more when our lawyer gets back in town next week. Here we go again, yikes.

Comment

I'll try to make a long story short, if possible. At our 341 my dad's lawyer showed up and grilled me. My dad sued us for money we owed him (long story) and tried to garnish my hubby's wages. That's why we filed BK. Anyway because of him doing that it red flagged the UST and she said she had to enter a presumption of abuse because she had people to answer to (my dad's lawyer) and she even said it was because of him. She entered the 707 disallowing some expenses and adding them to our income. The exact same expenses that my dad's lawyer was grilling me about at our 341. We are changing a few things and she said she would not contest if we refiled.

I guess I'll know more when our lawyer gets back in town next week. Here we go again, yikes.
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My dad sued us for money we owed him (long story) and tried to garnish my hubby's wages. That's why we filed BK.
                    WOW....So not only are you being sued by DAD but he forced you into BK (technically). Never seen that before! I'm surprised he even lent you money. Interesting, I don't know what side to take....the dad who sues his daughter or the daughter who doesn't pay back her dad. Personally I'd payback my dad every cent! Crazy!

I don't think the tax refund really matters since you're tax expense is the actual tax liability, but every district is different. Most just say spend it if you can't exempt it. As for the bonuses that is included in the 6 month average for income.
                    Last edited by chad9162; 04-24-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I don't think

she was asking for anyone to takes sides or opinions on her realtionship with her dad. just the other stuff.
                      B x
                      filed Ch 7 Oct 31st 2008.
                      341 Dec 10th 2008.
                      DiSCHARGED Feb 10th 2009

Comment

Originally posted by B65 View Post
                        she was asking for anyone to takes sides or opinions on her realtionship with her dad. just the other stuff.

Agreed! Especially since we only know part of the story and it's best if it stays that way for the OP's sake.
                        The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by B65 View Post
                          Thank you for your wisdom and insight but she DID mentioned it. If she didn't want people to "judge" the situation then she should have left that part out. To clarify I never said she wanted people to take her side. That was me thinking out loud and my shock to her situation. Again if she didn't want that response she could have asked her questions without the detail!!!.

I think most people who have read this thread are a bit shocked. Personally, I don't think she cares what I think. What's worst than your DAD suing you and forcing you to BK!

Comment

ohhh so thats how it works, if you mention something, then it must mean you want opinions.... thanks for clarifying that!
                            B x
                            filed Ch 7 Oct 31st 2008.
                            341 Dec 10th 2008.
                            DiSCHARGED Feb 10th 2009

Comment

Wait until someone who despises you (or sues you) files an involuntary bankruptcy on you.

(No, this didn't happen to me.)
                              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X