I just stopped paying CCs.. how long before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just stopped paying CCs.. how long before

Upon advice from my attorney, I just stopped paying all my CCs a couple of weeks ago. Already, Discover has started calling my cell. They called me 3-4 times on just the 1st day alone. Can I actually just ignore the calls? Since my lawyer said that my actual file date won't be until June, should I tell them that I'm "going to" file for BK and to contact my lawyer? I guess most of the time they will say no. But anyways, is it just best to ignore the calls?

Also, how long before they start trying to put judgments on my checking account or whatever it's called? I think the attorney fees would go up to handle judgments? Obviously, I wouldn't want to have to unnecessarily deal with that. I have no job and just collect unemployment.

Also, most of my CCs have my checking account # on file because I always manually make my payments online each month (one-time payments). I've never done automatic payments. I hope they don't just start taking money out.

Thanks.

I would switch bank accounts that have no ties to your creditors. We had to stop using USAA which makes us so very sad.

Comment

Your attorney should have given you a number to refer your creditors to. When they call just tell them you are filing bankruptcy, give them the lawyers number and they usually stop calling. I would switch bank accounts too.

Comment

Your Attorney should be taking those call s for you. I believe they can still call you until your file date though.
        No Asset 7 closed 11/09

Comment

Ignoring the calls is okay, but honestly just answer the phone and tell them you have retained an atty. They'll then say "Oh, so your filing BK? What is your atty name?" You give them his name & number.
          Calls stopped right after we gave them our atty info.

The accounts were sent to BK dept of cc company. Atty will handle the rest.

You do need to open a new checking account with a new bank, a fresh start is always good.

Comment

If Discover is only calling 3-4 times a day, count yourself lucky! You don't need to talk to anyone, not even to refer them to your attorney. Let them go to voicemail, use a different phone, whatever works for you to help you ignore them. If you're filing in June, there's almost zero chance anyone would sue you in that time frame, unless it's a local lender (even then, slim chance in such a short time). We stopped making full payments on all 10 cc's last Summer, no summons yet. I have found that even when I tell them we've retained an attorney, they still keep calling - so, why bother? Oh, look, someone's calling now
            BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

I have to say it's been since around Nov08 when we stopped paying our CCs and we let our machine get all of them. On our home phone we get about 20 message if we let it go a couple days. We do get some on our cell as well. I have First National that likes to call me a lot on there. I think it's FN anyway. I never answer. They sometimes leave a message.

Comment

I stopped paying most accounts in February. I do answer and just let them know that, due to the recession, I cannot make a payment.

This is limiting the calls to once/twice a week.

Not sure if I am just lucky or if answering is a good tactic

Comment

Stopped paying in February.......lots of calls. I just add their #'s to my Blacklist of my VOP phone so they right to Voice mail. Some are sneaky though, they change the number and area code they call from trying to confuse you.
                  Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

As long as you have a bank account that has no ties to any of your creditors, you don't have to switch banks. It doesn't matter if you've been paying them directly from that checking account. I did not switch banks and I've had zero problems.
                    Filed C7: 03/09/09
                    341: 04/30/09
                    Discharged 6/30/09!!!

Comment

Yeah we had to switch because we have a CC with USAA and also our 2nd mortgage.

Comment

This week is the first time i am not paying either. Yesterday I had two cc's due and today one. Next week will be the last one. But my case is getting filed by this Friday so I have a feeling I won't be getting any calls. But I just plan on turning off my cell anyhow if I do. It's weird isn't it? I am gonna have fun watching my accounts to see what happens.

Of course, I listed my cell with my creditors because I want that discharged too so that will get shut off soon so even if they do call they will get a service disconnected message. HeeHee, just let them try to bug me - I feel so evil. I'll be like the "ghost" customer.

I have the same issue right now with the checking acct and the cc's. I have two Chase cc's and a Chase checking. I will need to start an account somewhere else soon. But I am going to wait until I am officially filed this week to do it.
                        "I broke, I broke, it's off to Chapter 7 I go"
                        http://queenfluff.blogs.experienceproject.com/
                        1st meeting w/ Lawyer: 4/3/09 * File: 4/30/09 *341: 6/23/09 * Discharged 8/25/09!

Comment

hopeforus, did you have any issues with USAA dropping your insurance?

We have an auto loan and cc with them as well as our home and auto insurance. I know they will cancel our membership, but I am hoping they will finish out our insurance contract.
                          Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                          341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

Originally posted by BkinTX View Post
                            hopeforus, did you have any issues with USAA dropping your insurance?

We have an auto loan and cc with them as well as our home and auto insurance. I know they will cancel our membership, but I am hoping they will finish out our insurance contract.
                            Yeah we got our "we hate you" letter a couple weeks ago about not doing business with us anymore for new services blah blah. Was sad. We love USAA *cry*.

BUT... no, insurance is still going as far as I know. But, last month I did go ahead and pay the balance of our policy which goes until August. I figured if it was paid for they wouldn't cancel. I think they just wouldn't renew. We'll see in August I guess. Our home insurance is with them too and I'm unsure how that gets renewed or if it will... it's all in escrow with our mortgage payments.

Comment

Yeah, we really liked USAA. We considered trying to pay off the cc with them and the car but from what I've read they will drop you for filing bk even if you don't include them in it.

We are way too upside down on the car anyway.

I guess part of bk is living with the consequences -- no more USAA.

I'm glad to know they are still keeping you insured for now.
                              Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
                              341 Meeting: 6/11/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X