Do you like your lawyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like your lawyer?

I really like my lawyer. He is a very nice older man. His father and grandfather and son were all bankruptcy lawyers. He is a trustee, as is his son. He is personable and doesn't rush me. He took his time and explained EVERY PAGE when I was signing all the filing papers yesterday. Afterwards, he even conversed with me a little bit about some of my interests (he was asking about when I used to live in Mexico).

Anyhow, he will be coming with me to the 341. I hear that some folks on here have lawyers who will not accompany them to court. That's pretty messed up I think.

I am amazed at how many people are going through bankruptcy. He had TEN 341 filings on Friday! By the way, this is not a huge law practice. It's a small father son practice, so I think ten 341s is a lot. I wanted to ask the assistant how many 341s he goes to in a month lately. Bankruptcy is definitely big business nowadays!

I just thought I'd post this because there may be some new folks out there looking for info on what made a good lawyer and I thought some people may be able to give their two cents on what to look for in a lawyer.
    Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
    341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
    Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

I liked my lawyer he was a younger guy probably mid 30s to 40s (So around my age). His paralegal was very nice too.
    May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
    July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
    September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I hate mine. Don't even think he ever passed the bar.

BTW, a lot of lawyers file their "routine" cases all on or around the same day. My District's Clerk stated that most are filed in the first 5 days of the any calendar month. This usually makes all the 341 Meetings on the same day.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Paralegal

You bring up a very good point, JR Scott- the paralegal is so important! I don't think people realize that sometimes. I have had so much contact and conversations with the paralegal- much more than with the actual attorney. Mine was very nice and also extremely knowledgeable. She seemed to work well with the attorney.

I think people need to consider the paralegal when selecting an attorney. I think it would really suck to have a great attorney but have to deal with a mean/bad/irritable paralegal all the time!
        Filed Chapter 7- May 5, 2009
        341 Meeting- June 22, 2009
        Kept house, all credit cards discharged in August 2010.

Comment

I love my lawyer but I can never get past the paralegal to see him and unfortunately the paralegal tends to give the wrong advice
          4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
          5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
          7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
          7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

You are right about the paralegal! Ha Ha JustBroke! ...you are getting the best "representation" around! LOL

Personally I had a great attorney and a fantastic paralegal. The attorney has been doing strictly BK's the last 30 yrs and is incredibly knowlegable. The same with the paralegal. She would get right back with me if there was a question that she could not answer. I always had an answer from the office within 24 hours. This was a small office by the way, not a BK mill.

One of the things that helped was the list of documents that the attorney provided to me right at the beginning. This list was extremely helpful, because I provided everything requested in order of the list which made preparing the petition extra easy, as the information was already put together in one place. When I turned in the documentation (mine was extensive, about 2000 pages) organized in files in order by catagory- the paralegal was happy too.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X