Using a BK attorney long distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a BK attorney long distance

My good friend filed Ch 7 a year ago.She highly recommends her attorney .He is located in southern CA whereas i am in norcal. This attorney though can work via emails and info sent to him.That was how she conducted her BK case, since she had to move to Europe (she started the case before she moved and she used to live in Socal)

If i work with this attorney, where would the 341 be held? Even if it is in socal i am willing to go there, since i'd rather work with someone who comes so highly recommended. (the thought of using someone local also makes me uncomfortable, since I don';t want an attorney from my neck of the woods and who may know people I know)

The 341 Meeting will be where the Attorney files the case. The 341 Meeting, as it appears you are aware, is the only (preset) "hearing" that you must attend. (While it is possible you could be called in, this is just very very remote. Generally, debtors only attend the 341 Meeting and the Attorney/Firm attends all of them and represents you.)

Now, would I do it 400 miles away? Don't know. If your case is cut and dry and a no-asset case, why not just file local?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      The 341 Meeting will be where the Attorney files the case. The 341 Meeting, as it appears you are aware, is the only (preset) "hearing" that you must attend. (While it is possible you could be called in, this is just very very remote. Generally, debtors only attend the 341 Meeting and the Attorney/Firm attends all of them and represents you.)

Now, would I do it 400 miles away? Don't know. If your case is cut and dry and a no-asset case, why not just file local?
      Well, I plan on filing earliest early august. There is a chance that I may get a grant/scholarship to study overseas and have to leave end of august. i am now waiting for the Univ acceptance. In that case, I plan on flying back for the 341 so whether it is in norcal or socal doesnt matter.

I guess there are attorneys that can work online and thru emails/phone calls and that one does come so highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by coolgurka View Post
        I guess there are attorneys that can work online and thru emails/phone calls and that one does come so highly recommended.
        I would add to my prior post, that if you are actually going to be leaving the country or traveling... a good trustworthy attorney is better.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yep, Justbroke (btw thanks for always trying to help:-) I may need to be out of the country while the process of BK is going on, so someone like the attorney i mentioned would be great. I have only the high CC debt and the foreclosure (plus some utility bills, unpaid property tax etc)1st mortage of 180K and second equity line 150K, no assets,(car worth 3k max which i am keeping)Have not had full time work for at least a year.

That being said, it takes a while to go thru the foreclosure process in ca, so i wonder how that factors into the BK process?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X