Telecommunications Expense on Means Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telecommunications Expense on Means Test

Is this just a 6 month average on say, your cell phone bill and internet bill?
    Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
    ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Technically, make sure these items are not already included in the Non-Rent/Non-Mortgage Expense allowance. (That would be base telephone service and basic cable services.)

If you provide phones for family members, need higher speed internet or additional phone lines for work, or have other reasons, you can include "additional" telecommunications expenses. The higher the number you put there, the more scrutiny it will get (especially relative to your income). I put in about $150/month and had no questions. I have read where some Trustees questions anything over $99/month.

Your mileage may vary. This is District/Trustee specific.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Technically, make sure these items are not already included in the Non-Rent/Non-Mortgage Expense allowance. (That would be base telephone service and basic cable services.)

If you provide phones for family members, need higher speed internet or additional phone lines for work, or have other reasons, you can include "additional" telecommunications expenses. The higher the number you put there, the more scrutiny it will get (especially relative to your income). I put in about $150/month and had no questions. I have read where some Trustees questions anything over $99/month.

Your mileage may vary. This is District/Trustee specific.
      My actual cell phone average for the past 6 months is at $120 when I pay this month's bill. As far as internet, I pay cash to my roommate for that, but I would not have a problem getting him to write a notarized receipt letter for the amount of money that I have paid him.

Thanks for the advice, you made me feel better.

(PS: I coach, so I do need the cell phone to make calls to parents when we're at the pool, let kids use it to call home, etc.)
      Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
      ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Comment

Originally posted by teacher View Post
        (PS: I coach, so I do need the cell phone to make calls to parents when we're at the pool, let kids use it to call home, etc.)
        If you are questioned about the cell phone expense (that high), I personally don't believe this answer is sufficient. The box (line) in which you enter this, states that it needs to be for the health and/or welfare of your or your dependents. Just letting you know that you answer above, doesn't show personal or family necessity.... so be careful.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          If you are questioned about the cell phone expense (that high), I personally don't believe this answer is sufficient. The box (line) in which you enter this, states that it needs to be for the health and/or welfare of your or your dependents. Just letting you know that you answer above, doesn't show personal or family necessity.... so be careful.
          Thank you for warning me about that. My mother and stepfather are both disabled and live about an hour and a half away from me. Sometimes I get calls at 9 PM that there is a problem...sometimes they are at 1 PM... Would I be able to use thier need as a reason for the bill? I guess I need to just realize that I really have to be willing to "spill everything" when questioned about something by them.

Comment

Originally posted by teacher View Post
            Thank you for warning me about that. My mother and stepfather are both disabled and live about an hour and a half away from me. Sometimes I get calls at 9 PM that there is a problem...sometimes they are at 1 PM... Would I be able to use thier need as a reason for the bill? I guess I need to just realize that I really have to be willing to "spill everything" when questioned about something by them.
            This is a very good reason.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X