question about abstract judgment or judgment lien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about abstract judgment or judgment lien

I have an abstract judgment (judgment lien in california) recorded. I own no real property. I understand that after ch7 discharge the judgment cant be collected but it will still be there as there arent any grounds to get it vacated. Since I cant get the judgment vacated, I cant avoid the lien. It is my understanding the lien wont attach any property acquired after the BK. Is this correct?

Whether it can vacated depends on the nature of the underlying debt. If the underlying debt was unsecured and would other wise discharged in a BK, then the judgment can be vacated.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      Whether it can vacated depends on the nature of the underlying debt. If the underlying debt was unsecured and would other wise discharged in a BK, then the judgment can be vacated.
      In California? How so? The reasons under which a judgment can be vacated are few, and I dont have one. The lien can be avoided if it gets in the way of an exemption, but that isnt the case here since I am not a homeowner.

Comment

Originally posted by onlywayout View Post
        In California? How so? The reasons under which a judgment can be vacated are few, and I dont have one. The lien can be avoided if it gets in the way of an exemption, but that isnt the case here since I am not a homeowner.
        You need to explain exactly what the underlying debt was. Also, if that debt was secured by any property. HHM was giving a generic answer. I'm sure he'll get more specific as he gets more details. I may even jump in too.
        Last edited by justbroke; 05-25-2009, 08:02 PM. Reason: waiting...
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

the judgment is a default judgment from a lawsuit for breach of contract from a failed business i had years ago.

Some states allow a judgment to be vacated if the debt from it has been discharged. California has no such provision as far as I can tell, of the allowable reasons to vacate a judgment, I dont have one.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X