Caught in the middle of CH 7 or CH 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught in the middle of CH 7 or CH 13

I have business related dept of $138,000 but my consumer debt is $198,000, so not quite 50%. I make more than the median income and I do have a little equity ($15K-$20K). So I have to do the means test, that I'm ok with.

Here's where it gets complicated. I work out of state, therefore I receive a per-diem for travel expenses. Half my salary is overtime I work 50-65 hours a week. I am on a contract basis with no gurantee of extension. My living expenses include my home, land, three cars (one of which I will be letting go back in bankruptcy), and normal and necessary living cost. PLUS I have an apartment, cable/phone, food, gas and others which are travel expenses.

Having done the means test myself, I still show disposable income. How can I reduce my disposable income?

I dont want to file CH 7 on everything, just the business debt. If I am forced into CH 13 I'm afraid that ALL my disposable income will be taken and I will have nothing for unexpected expences, savings (I have none now), or other things I might need or want to buy.

OH!, and $120,000 of my business debt is a balloon note due in three weeks!!

Thanks

Well, you can't choose what to file Chapter 7 on. You either liquidate, or do not. You could "reaffirm" some debt, but that's a very specific personal question based upon many factors (value, equity, type, etc.).

If you still have significant disposable income (over $300/month) after having already deducted car ownership/operating expenses, food, clothing, insurance, etc... then you have the "means" to fund a Chapter 13.

Don't just make up things, because when you're over-the-median, you will be questioned on all the expenses and that they are actual.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks,
      I do want to reaffirm the essentials, house,land,car. It is the business debt that is causing me to make this choice. I dont want to make things up either. Just want all options on the table. I have an appointment with attorney in two weeks.

Do you know how the $120,000 balloon payment will come into play? It is realestate I had on an interest only payments for past year, it's now due and I can't pay. It's been for sale for the entire time.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by bmitchell31 View Post
        Do you know how the $120,000 balloon payment will come into play? It is realestate I had on an interest only payments for past year, it's now due and I can't pay. It's been for sale for the entire time.
        Just surrender the collateral and have the personal liability to pay, discharged. Chapter 7 is great for things like that!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Let me clarify, even if you end up in a Chapter 13, you can still surrender that property. I know you're worried about spending money and "disposable" income in a Chapter 13. Well, Chapter 13 relief comes with a price, and that's a budget. If you can't live within that budget, then you'll have to dismiss the case and just be at the mercy of your creditors.

Chapter 7 would probably be the more preferable thing in your situation. However, the ability to pay will always come back to haunt you and have the Trustee screaming abuse.

Comment

yeah thats what I thought, I will surrender the property, they will sell and I will owe the difference. I have some means BUT I work under a contract, that contract is up in 7 months. No contract, no money. If that happens I'll be bankrupt any way. No gurantees in life...........

Comment

Originally posted by bmitchell31 View Post
                yeah thats what I thought, I will surrender the property, they will sell and I will owe the difference. I have some means BUT I work under a contract, that contract is up in 7 months. No contract, no money. If that happens I'll be bankrupt any way. No gurantees in life...........
                No, the Trustee will say this (and this is what I'm saying to you).

File. If you're in a Chapter 13, you're in a Chapter 13. if your job ends, then you can absolutely convert your case to a Chapter 7! They will consider current circumstances (end of contract when it actually occurs). However, if you are re-employed before discharge, having converted to a Chapter 7, and the Trustee is aware, they may move to push you back to a chapter 13.

Yes, round and round you go.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X