Home from my 341.....Eh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home from my 341.....Eh

So, first let me say that the meeting in itself was painless. I'll get to my disappointment in a minute. We were sitting there in front of the trustee for MAYBE 2 minutes and were asked the following:
    Did you read the green pamphlet provided to you when you sat down (BK rights)?
    Do you have personal knowledge of the information contained in your BK petitions?
    Did you list all of your assets?
    Did you list everyone you owe money to?
    Do you have any errors or omissions you would like to report now?
    Do you owe any domestic support obligations such as child/spousal support or alimony?
    Did you read and sign your petitions?
    Is the social security # in your schedules and on the card in front of me the original # issued by the SSA?
    The house on such and such street that you own - it has a balance of 447K, correct?
    Are these your most current tax returns that you supplied to my office?
    I have no further questions and let the record show that I am returning your license and social security card and your taxes to you.

So PRIOR to that - we sat for about 1.5 hours and listened to the above be asked of tons of people. Let me tell you that EVERY SINGLE filer who had an attorney had incorrect paperwork of some sort and was continued to July 15. The trustee was hard on the attys, not forgiving at all. One couple who spoke Spanish, he asked them through the interpreter if they knew why they were there and they said no, and he continued the case and told the atty to brief his client better next time. Ouch. Some had incorrect exemptions, some had no dates on stuff, some had dependents listed on taxes that were not on the means or vice versa. I watched as EACH, seriously, client with an atty was continued. Only one of the pro se's was, for not having an SS card with him. Maybe he was more apt to POINT OUT the incorrect forms and stuff on represented filers? But I don't know why they would be. There were a TON of pro se filers, more so than represented. No creditors showed up at all.

He was courteous to everyone, did not "grill" anyone, only the attys got grilled and put on the spot. Except the one pro se before us that kept asking legal questions, the trustee told him three times to retain an atty if he had those types of questions and he would not be answering. That was the only time I would even think he was short or rude, but considering the fact that he told him twice before not to ask legal questions I think it was warranted on the TTs part.
    So - even though it was painless, it was not a good thing for us today.

The UST was there <sigh> he had three files to talk to, two did not show up and got continued to 7/15 and there was us.

Before we even got called up for our 341, probably like an hour before, the atty from the USTs office/representative for the UST showed up to "talk" to us. He did not end up attending our 341, but he asked us if we could talk to him outside, so we did. He basically told us that he totally understood why we were filing, and did not feel it was true abuse, but that he had no choice but to file a presumption of abuse because at face value they were not accepting my student loans as a special circumstance as part of the means test/or expenses. He said without them it looks like you have 3K excess income, so he has to file the presumption. I understood what he was saying, and he was VERY nice and talked to us for about 30 minutes and told us that he is not there to make this difficult, but "numbers are numbers and you guys make too much money". He showed us spreadsheets and all sorts of documents they had run with our numbers, and he said "We have spent a week on this, everyone in the office has looked at it to try to help you". So I said "Ok so you file the presumption and you motion to dismiss - not convert right?" and he said "No, we should be able to convert" and I said "How, the debt level for entering a Ch 13 is 336K and I have over that" and he said and I quote "I am pretty sure the eligible level for Ch 13 is higher than 336K, isn't it?"

He is asking ME? Ummmmm, what? The UST is standing in front of me and does not know the code? What in the world?!!!! So he said he would go back to the office and look it up and call me. He doesn't really need to, I know that it is 336K or else I would have done a 13. I know it looks like we make too much money. I told him I was 99.9% sure of my info, but lets say I am right and it IS 336K, I cannot convert, then what? And he said "Well, you could accept the motion to dismiss or you could try and 11 - but that is expensive and I have never seen a pro se one even attempted, but that is cause it is usually businesses that file them". And I said "Ok, so if I wanted to rebut the motion to dismiss and push the special circumstance of the student loans being included in CH 7 expenses/means as I have NO other option than to pay them the way the laws are now - I can do that right?" and he said "Well you can try - but it really seems like you have the means to pay" and I said "How do you figure - means to pay what? The CCs - not if we pay the SLs too - or vice versa I will get sued by someone here pretty quick. Look at my expenses, someone is going to end up not being paid". And he just kept flipping through our paperwork and he said "I know what you mean - but I just wanted to pull you out here to tell you that this is what was gonna happen" (and I pretty much knew that it was gonna happen based on discussions here).

So I said "ok well thank you - and please get back to me on the level of eligibility for 13" and he said "I will, I will call you on the # here, and I am thinking a zero point Ch 13 plan, where you pay the SLs outside of the plan, and you have a zero CH 13 payment for 5 years". Which to me sounds NO DIFFERENT than a Ch 7 and I told him so, and he said "it is a really complicated system, but you seem like you understand it and you did all of your paperwork like it was an attorney's office filling it out".

And to that I responded "I am not sure if that is a complement or not, judging by what is going on in there with the attys!!" And we all laughed and we thanked him, he gave us his card and told us he really wished us good luck, this is an extremely tough case because of the SL debt level, and he wished that one of us was not working because that would make the presumption go away. (what the? Do I quit my job?!! Um, no).

I know I cannot file a 13 unless I am just on the wrong planet here.

So, ultimately, the info we gained today was not in our favor and we have a lot of discussing to do, but at least everyone was nice and helpful! No one at any time made us feel like they did not have compassion for our situation.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 06-23-2009, 10:03 PM. Reason: Trying to help make it more eye-friendly
    Teacher Momma

Glad to see that the UST was so laid back.. surprises me.
    Filed 11/24/09, Riding Through Mortgage
    341 on 1/11/10 (easy), Confirmed 4/26/10
    $150 for 36 months (22 of 36 made)

Comment

Sometimes, the UST's office is actually human-like... but in the end, they still file the Motion to Dismiss.

I'm sorry to hear that the UST jumped in on the 707(b) presumption of abuse, but it wasn't without expectation. Now you just need to gear up for rebutting the presumption under "special circumstances".

Best wishes!
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

When I do that it is before a judge, huh? Uggghhhhhh. Does this mean I do or do not need to attend the reaffirmation hearing for our car next month?
        Teacher Momma

Comment

Originally posted by TeacherMomma View Post
          When I do that it is before a judge, huh? Uggghhhhhh. Does this mean I do or do not need to attend the reaffirmation hearing for our car next month?
          Yep, this will go before the judge. However, the judge may have you enter "written" arguments instead of oral arguments. Also, you may be able to ask to do it by teleconference (if allowed in your jurisdiction). Saves time from going to the courthouse. The first hearing will more than likely be non-evidentiary where you state your primary case. Then the judge will set it for "trial".

If a reaffirmation hearing has been scheduled, you need to attend that hearing.,, if you are reaffirming.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I am sorry. Sometimes "systems" just seem to defy logic.

There needs to be some legislation regarding SL debt and BK and make it either dischargable or an allowed expense.

They are freakin with you for the duration, it would seem like they should be treated like secured debt. Secured by your blood, sweat and tears!

I hope it all works out. Hopefully a judge will see the irrationality in it all if you lay it out correctly and show them you have no other means to pay back the SL unless you file BK and there is no other way to escape paying the loans. Something has got to give, hopefully it will be the judge.

Comment

very nice report. the paperwork discrepancies support my thinking and opinion of the local attorney base after hearing what Liz417 went through after interviewing 6 or so attys and they all seemed to know less about the process than we know here on the forum.
              Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

Originally posted by albacore44 View Post
                very nice report. the paperwork discrepancies support my thinking and opinion of the local attorney base after hearing what Liz417 went through after interviewing 6 or so attys and they all seemed to know less about the process than we know here on the forum.

I absolutely agree with all the comments, and I know I could have filed pro se and been fine. I have already did 3 FDCPA lawsuits pro se in Federal court. However, the one thing none of us can do and this site cannot help with happened during one of my consultations.

A question was raised by me, the attorney was not sure, so he called the US trustee on the cell phone and asked him how he would handle this situation. I really feel that BK law is not really about the law as much as it is about the Trustee's opinion. This site can help with the law, but does nothing for the personnal relationship with the trustee.

For Teacher, I understand, I agree with you, and you are just going to have to fight the good fight over SL and probably lose. I have a daughter in college right now, and though she has very good scholarships, she has taken a couple of SL's. I hope to get thorough my BK so I can help her pay these off quickly.
                Last edited by Rick9972; 06-22-2009, 02:28 PM. Reason: add comment
                Filed 5/27/09
                341 7/2/09
                341 held
                Discharge and closed 9/4/09

Comment

Originally posted by Rick9972 View Post
                  A question was raised by me, the attorney was not sure, so he called the US trustee on the cell phone and asked him how he would handle this situation. I really feel that BK law is not really about the law as much as it is about the Trustee's opinion. This site can help with the law, but does nothing for the personnal relationship with the trustee.
                  You bring up a good point that I mentioned once before, but so many people seem to miss.

The whole Bankruptcy process is the U.S. Trustee's show. It is all about the U.S. Trustee. The Court is only there are final arbiter on matters that can't be settled. However, the whole program... is the U.S. Trustee's program.

It's probably why my posts almost always slant towards a Trustee's view.

Comment

Ok, craziness! Listen to this: I just got a call on my cell from the US Trustee's attorney that was there today (the one that pulled us aside and talked to us) and he said that we ARE eligible for Ch 13 because there is a "special plan classification for student loans". Whatever that means. I will research and see. But he said he has a call in to the counsel that handles Ch 13 in his office and will call me back.
                    It ain't a 7 which stinks, but it isn't a dismissal or an 11 either! We'll see.
                    Teacher Momma

Comment

...and he said that we ARE eligible for Ch 13 because there is a "special plan classification for student loans". Whatever that means.
                      I never heard of this and 109(e) is jurisdictional, meaning that you can't just exceed it. I don't know how they are going to make the "special plan", unless they make different "classes" in your plan and make the student debt "priority unsecured".

I can't find or remember the cite, but I thought I saw an "argument" that "priority unsecured" debt doesn't count towards the 109(e) "unsecured" debt limit. However, I'd say if Congress meant 109(e)'s $336,900 limit to be for "general unsecured" debt, they only needed to add the word "general" or "non-priority" there.

This is getting more interesting TeacherMomma.

In the end, the Trustee could let it "slide" by... but if a creditor or the Judge catches it... I wonder if it would stick.

Comment

I know, crazy huh? He specifically told me today that SLs are NOT priority debt in any fashion, that they are no different than my Chase CC, BofA line of credit, etc. To which I replied "Oh no they are not the same! I can never be rid of the SL debt, no matter what my income is, how many kids I have, the means test will never matter to my SLs, etc. I would have to be totally disabled to then MAYBE get then discharged - so NO they are not the same. I get that they are not priority in the line with tax and child supp, but isn't it odd that in ALL other respects they are treated the same?" and he said "Yes, when we are in DC we argue it all the time - either make them unsecured like everything else, or make them priority".

Today on the phone his exact words when I said "So how exactly do I now qualify for a Ch 13?" he said: "109e cannot be read exactly like that when it comes to student loans". I didn't even know what 109e was till I got off the phone.

I couldn't make this crap up if I tried!
                        Teacher Momma

Comment

Today on the phone his exact words when I said "So how exactly do I now qualify for a Ch 13?" he said: "109e cannot be read exactly like that when it comes to student loans". I didn't even know what 109e was till I got off the phone.
                          I'll tell you what though... sounds like he took a liking to you. Also, you seemed to have kept cool and asked him really pointed questions of law to which he actually answered or challenged. That's pretty cool.

I just can't find one case in which someone argued that student loans don't even count in the 109(e) jurisdictional limits. This would be really important to know for people on this forum... and you.

Anything I write doesn't supersede the Trustee, as it's their show.

Comment

I did keep cool you're right, and my approach is the same as my true feeling about the situation - I am not trying to avoid paying my debts, but show me how it can happen? I am not opposed to a Ch 13, but I did not think we were eligible and he didn't even know if we were or weren't, LOL And I told him on the phone that I don't feel so bad navigating this pro se now, because it is taking HIM (the atty/UST) several calls to find out info. I just don't know how much of what he said to trust cause of this morning's lack of info.
                            When he was showing me the spreadsheets and all the stuff he had been reviewing on our case he goes "I just feel like we need to get this taken care of - you are two people out there working hard for a lot of people". So that was nice.
                            He ended with "We'll work it out - I just have to do some leg work".

I'll be sure to post whatever I am told/find out, etc.
                            Teacher Momma

Comment

It really stinks that you're getting stuck in a poorly drafted mess of different rules.

My silly question -- if these ideas the UST attorney had end up working, and you're in a 0% $0 CH 13 -- can you buy out early? Heh. I'm sure you could probably save up all those extra $0 and after a few months pay off that $0.

Since you were planning on a CH 7 anyways, I'm assuming you'd pass the "at least as much as they would get in a liquidation" test.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X