homeless, so no street address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hope a ups box doesn't cost too much.

i think it's strange that they make it so hard for homeless people. they should just allow a homeless person to use their most recent address for the jurisdiction. that would make the most sense, i think. but it is what it is.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
      i hope a ups box doesn't cost too much.

i think it's strange that they make it so hard for homeless people. they should just allow a homeless person to use their most recent address for the jurisdiction. that would make the most sense, i think. but it is what it is.
      The address is for two reasons. First, is jurisdiction, as you found out. The second, is that the Court, Trustee and Creditors need a place at which they can serve papers on you. You certainly don't want to be in a position where you never received notice that your case was being dismissed.

As for costs... I don't know. A normal size box (#1... 3in x 5.5in) at the U.S. Post Office is from $28-$96 for a year ($14-$48 for 6 months) around here. I would think that UPS Store boxes are about the same. You can use that for your planning number.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

but a street address is not necessary for serving papers. a pobox is sufficient for service by mail. i don't think bk papers need to be served by hand, do they? and if they do, the ups box won't help anyway - it's not like a process server is likely to find the person physically at the ups store!

i read a while back (though i can't find the website any more) under FAQs from one of the bankruptcy court websites, a lawyer was asking what to list for a client who has a POBox, and they said they need the street address in order to assign to the correct district. they didn't say anything about service.
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
          but a street address is not necessary for serving papers. a pobox is sufficient for service by mail. i don't think bk papers need to be served by hand, do they?
          Most bk papers don't need to be served in person (by hand). I would probably go so far as to say that for routine matters, everything is by mail.

I think you're right that while personal service is available, most don't use personal service. The Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure (Rule 7004) which references the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, talks about it but seems to allow papers to be served either way.

I know that I was racking my brain one day trying to figure out how to serve a bank in a contested matter. I did end up serving them by mail, but served them at their registered address and a few other addresses just to be sure I wouldn't have service deficiencies.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I'd really be interested to hear what the OP's schedule I and J show. With no rent, utilities... if you had a job it would appear that you have a lot of surplus income after discharging the debts.

I had never thought of the working homeless filing CH7 until I read this. OP, I hope things work out in the end. Plus I hope you have a large paid for vehicle. (Said, as I look outside at my conversion van in the driveway.)

Comment

Pelican- welcome aboard! just as an fyi. I too use a P.O.Box ( have all my life) and because the petition asks for the street address, you'll be getting the same notices mailed to both addresses, at least they do that here in Fla. When I first started getting them, I panicked until I realized that they were duplicates from the trustee.

Comment

Pelican.. I just want to wish you the very best in getting threw this Bk and getting on with your fresh start in life !! God bless
                Filed on 7-17-09
                waiting for 341
                341 meeting 8-21-09
                discharged/ case closed 12/23/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X