Did I screw up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I screw up?

I consulted with an atty on Thursday evening about filing for chapter 7. Friday evening our computer took a crap...so Saturday we went and bought a new one ($600) and charged it. We plan on turning in our paperwork to the atty and paying him by August 1st. Will this effect our filing? Will it help if I continue to pay on that card until we file?
    370K Secured Debt / 53K Unsecured Debt
    Ch 7 Filed 08/31/09
    341 on 10/07/09
    Last day to object 12/07/09 - Discharged 12/28/09

It could be, as you made a purchase for a luxury item on teh "eve of bankruptcy". Now, will the creditor file a motion to determine dischargeability... probably not on something $600.

So, you just file normally. There's nothing special to do. If the creditor so chooses to file a complaint as to the dischargeability of the debt, or otherwise contacts your attorney informing him that they will... just settle with them or stipulate to the $600.

You should let your attorney know, just so he is prepared in case the creditor does complain. The likelihood of the creditor complaining is low with that amount... a little higher, and maybe.

As a general suggestion, you shouldn't be using your cards anymore, now that you've decided to file.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

i don't feel a computer is considered luxury these days. it's a necessity.

i do agree with justbroke that $600 is a relatively small amount, and i don't think any creditor would waste the time to object.
      filed ch7 May 09
      341 june 09
      discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

[QUOTE=music12;295580]i don't feel a computer is considered luxury these days. it's a necessity. [/QUOTE}Luxury, in the Bankruptcy Code, is something not necessary for the health or welfare of the debtor. So, compared to food, clothing and housing... it's a luxury.

Personally, I don't consider having a sub-$1,000 computer a luxury at all.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

justbroke, maybe a strict reading of the code could indeed make a computer a luxury, but i don't believe any trustee or creditor for that matter could ever say it's a luxury with a straight face, given that in order to say it's a luxury, they would have to, ahm, type it up on their computer and either use the internet to upload it onto pacer or print it using their printer.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09

Comment

Originally posted by cfgdag View Post
            I consulted with an atty on Thursday evening about filing for chapter 7. Friday evening our computer took a crap...so Saturday we went and bought a new one ($600) and charged it. We plan on turning in our paperwork to the atty and paying him by August 1st. Will this effect our filing? Will it help if I continue to pay on that card until we file?
            make a couple payments on the card if you can; but honestly don't sweat it. If they do dispute it, you'll only end up paying back the $600..
            Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
            341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
            Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
            Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
              ... but i don't believe any trustee or creditor for that matter could ever say it's a luxury with a straight face...
              I hear ya! But Trustees are strange creatures. There are cases where a computer was considered a luxury item. Then again, it depends on your District and how grumpy your UST is.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                I hear ya! But Trustees are strange creatures. There are cases where a computer was considered a luxury item. Then again, it depends on your District and how grumpy your UST is.
                seriously grumpy!! are those cases recent? or was the computer bought for like $10,000 or something?
                filed ch7 May 09
                341 june 09

Comment

seriously grumpy!! are those cases recent? or was the computer bought for like $10,000 or something?
                  The last case I read the computer was $1,300. That's why I wrote earlier, that a computer approaching $1,000 may be considered "luxury". You know, the 22" flat panel HD monitor with the Bose speakers...

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                    The last case I read the computer was $1,300. That's why I wrote earlier, that a computer approaching $1,000 may be considered "luxury". You know, the 22" flat panel HD monitor with the Bose speakers...
                    they are insane.

is the $1,300 just for the monitor/speakers only? or is the computer included?
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09

Comment

they are insane.

is the $1,300 just for the monitor/speakers only? or is the computer included?
                      I don't remember. They just said the purchase, so I assume it was for the whole thing.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X