Discharge date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge date?

I have seen this question before. When does discharge date start from? The reason i ask is that my 341 was held on 5/12. my tt didnt file with the court till 5/26. On Pacer, when i view my status it shows my "Begin Date" as 5/26 and my discharge date 60 days later. Every answer ive seen to this question has advised start date is from 341 date, regardless of when tt files. In my case, that appears to not be true. Anyone else noticed this happening when the tt delays filing 341 with the court?

The discharge date is usually 60 day from the concluded meeting of creditors. This can be moved by the Trustee upon request to the court and a showing of cause.

Another "bar date" (or due date) after the first schedule 341 Meeting is the "dischargeability" complaint and objection to discharge bar. Creditors still need to file a dischargeability complaint or objection to discharge within 60 days of the first scheduled 341 Meeting, or they can't complain. Same thing for claims in a Chapter 7 (although these don't happen often in a no-asset case).

The Bankruptcy Code doesn't really set a date for discharge. It is usually about 120 days from filing, but it's not necessarily automatic.

It seems that with the economy and the sheer number of cases being filed these days, discharges are taking more than 60 days on average.
    Last edited by justbroke; 07-10-2009, 02:48 PM. Reason: Corrected "first scheduled" versus "concluded"
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

i think your right now that i view "deadlines/hearings" on Pacer, i see that creditors have till 7/13 to object. when i view "status" it shows discharge date as 5/26. im in so. calif so i dont expect to be discharged at 60 days anyway. thanks for the reply

Comment

i meant discharge date is 7-26

Comment

I am in the North Mississippi district, my lawyer indicated the incresed workload for the courts will probably set us back 30 days. I have read there is a shortage of Bankruptcy Judges in the US. I was wondering when the online degrees will be offered.

Comment

where do i apply?

Comment

Originally posted by MrSmithster View Post
              where do i apply?
              It's not easy to become a Federal Judge. Many of the Bankruptcy Judges are former Bankruptcy Attorneys. Some are former U.S. Trustees. They have specific experience in the area of Bankruptcies.

You can apply at anytime, if you're a member of the bar and admitted to practice before the U.S. District/Bankruptcy Courts. There's no on-line course.

I would say a Trustee has a higher chance of getting the job than most non-bankruptcy lawyers.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

i was kidding. i coundnt handle being around us deadbeats all day

Comment

And many of the *Online Degrees* offered are scams.

We have been having an on-again, off-again, now back on-again situation with an *acquaintance* trying to entice us into participating with his particular scam. Since the scam involves a *religious school* the feds won't touch it. When we say we say that what you have is a SCAM, we are treated as un-Christian heathens.

Bottom line: be careful of anything that comes over the Internet.
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X