Addition Of Creditors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addition Of Creditors

How long after you file can you add a creditor if they were not on your original list.

My 341 was June 5th but i just recently got a letter for a creditor i didnt remember from yrs ago. its only for $132 but might as well include it.

I believe to amend may be more costly at this point then just paying the $132. I would think you should speak with your attorney and find out for sure.
    Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

My attorney charges $175 plus court fees ($26) to add creditors, it wouldn't be worth it to me. All unsecured debts will be discharged regardless if you listed them as long as the debt was incurred BEFORE you filed.
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
        My attorney charges $175 plus court fees ($26) to add creditors, it wouldn't be worth it to me. All unsecured debts will be discharged regardless if you listed them as long as the debt was incurred BEFORE you filed.
        So how does that work exactly? I just found out about a hospital bill for $500 from 1 1/2 ago that I had forgotten about. They aren't on my creditor matrix and I'm due for discharge in just a couple of weeks. Should I add them or not?
        4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
        5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
        7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
        7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

The court charges a $26 fee to add a creditor to your matrix after filing. Talk with your lawyer to see if your local court is one that discharges all debt that would have been discharged whether they were added to the matrix to start with or not. Some do, and some don't.

If yours is one that only discharges what was on the matrix, then as other members have already said, if your lawyer is going to charge you extra plus the $26 to add the creditor to your matrix after filing, if the total amount to add the creditor is more than you owe them, then just pay off the creditor. However, if the bill is more that the filing fee plus lawyer charge, then it makes sense to pay to have the creditor added.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

or, if you choose not to add the creditor then you could still inform the creditor of your bk and see if they leave you alone.

i thought in no-asset cases, creditors not on the matrix still get discharged. i thought districts differ only in asset cases, but i guess based on lrprn's post, that i'm wrong...
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

you can do it yourself also. very easy. i added a creditor 2 wks after my 341, I filed it in person, paid the 26 bucks. along with the amendment to form F, I included a "service list" showing who I notified, you will have to notify creditor and tt yourself. the hardest part is converting both court pdf's to another format(i converted to word docs) so they can be filled in, unless you have full blown adobe. then again, $132 bucks, years old? maybe try offering them $50 to pay it off? advise them otherwise they get nothing

Comment

also, give them your case number, just for fun, i doubt they are going to pursue for that small amount

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X