Anyone heard of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone heard of this?

My husband and I filed ch 7 in aug 2008 and was discharged nov 2008. We recently received letters in the mail stating that our personal information including ss # and dob were stolen from a database our doctor/pharmacy uses. We were advised that an employee had stolen all files and we were not the only ones. Now they want us to pay to have a credit monitoriing service watch our credit reports for anything suspicious and to have a fraud alert listed with each of the cbs. My question is what can/will be done about this? Should we have to pay to have credit monitoring under these circumstances and what happens if we have the fraud alerts put on with the cbs?

sounds fishy. if you have good reason to suspect fraud, you can get free copies of your credit reports beyond the free annual one.

is the company that wants you to pay for credit monitoring in any way related to whoever told you that your identity was stolen? if they are related then i'd suspect neither is reliable.
    filed ch7 May 09
    341 june 09
    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Better yet, immediately place security freezes on each of the three bureau credit reports.
      My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
      posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Usually, when a company admits that they "lost" or otherwise didn't control personal information, they pay for some term of credit monitoring. I would call them and ask them how many months/years they will cover.

Also, as suggested about... put a lock/password on your credit!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

We had a similar thing happen, twice. Both times the people entrusted with our personal info offered the services you mentioned above at no cost. I think it was partially to help themselves reduce any liability they have for letting the information get out. No way I would pay for it. Call them and ask them point blank what they believe their legal liability is in this case.
          1/15/10 Filed ch7 2/18/10 314 meeting
          2/22/10 Report of No Distribution
          4/20/10 Discharged 5/20/10 Closed!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X