Job with a credit union after BK7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job with a credit union after BK7?

I filed and was discharged in April 09. Since then I've re-established my credit somewhat and have a 660 Experian, 606 Equifax, and 630 something Trans Union. I had no missed payments prior to BK and my accounts all show as such. The ONLY bad thing on my report is the BK.

That being said I relocated to a new city and have NO contacts. I met the Director of Business Relations (of the credit union) at a country club with my inlaws and she requested that I come down and bring my resume.

I did this today, spoke with her, met the branch manager, ect and I KNOW that I'm qualified for the position and I have years of experience in the field. The only problem that I forsee is that they are going to see the BK when they do a pre-employment credit check.

Now, I know they can't "discriminate" but that doesn't mean they can't say that there won't be "another" reason.

What do you guys think will happen?

I think the worst possible thing that could happen is.....you not getting the job. Why not try?
    Retained 3/09 * Filed 6/2/09 *341 Meeting 7/23/09 *Report of No Distribution Filed 7/24/09 *Closed and Discharged 10/13/09*
    ***I do not provide legal advice. All I am doing is sharing my thoughts and opinions. You probably shouldn't even read my posts.***

Comment

Since they're almost for surely going to see that you have a bk... you probably should've just told them.

Comment

Yes, it will show up. I would call the person you met at the Country Club and explain why you had to file BK. Sometimes it helps to let someone know before it's found on a piece of paper (Credit Report).

I can remember when I was interviewing for a Credit Union position. The President was quite impressed with my Credit Score. I had just moved from AR to IN leaving my husband in AR. Only one credit card was reported. My score was in the 800's. Really odd as I had plenty of credit cards with my name on them, but all but the one must have been in my now Ex's name.
        Last edited by LuciluS; 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM. Reason: u type faster bankruptsee LOL!

Comment

You never know really. I know a girl that has terrible credit that just got hired at our local CU. It really shocked me.

Good Luck! I hope you get it!
          4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
          5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
          7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
          7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

I would jnot say anything and see where it goes. If they deny you the job based on credit then I suppose they would have to disclose that to you. Perhaps if they check your credit (which they probably will being a credit union), they will give you the opportunity to provide an explanation. Best of luck!
            CH 7 Filed 6/26/09
            341 Meeting 7/27/09
            Last day for objections: 9/25/09
            When life gives you lemons, slice them and add to your Margarita!!

Comment

It's a 50/50 chance, really. Some employers (including the one that just hired me) understand credit problems more now than before because the economy has taken such a huge hit. Credentials are probably more important, and it is against the law to discriminate based on BK (though they can use another reason to get around the law if they choose).

But I wouldn't fret and worry unreasonably. Keep your cool and when the employer reaches a decision, you'll know where to go from there.
              Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

I'd like to update this and get some input.

I went in after posting this and sat down with the branch manager and explained that I had filed, when I filed, why I filed, ect. She was very understanding and told me she would get it overturned if that was what held things up.

Well, today I FINALLY heard back from the credit union after applying for a number of different positions which I was MORE than qualified for.

The branch manager informed me that the decision to not hire me was solely based on the fact that I had filed BK. She said she did everything in her power to get the decision overturned because she really liked me and thought I would be a great fit for the company.

So what the hell? I was told by my lawyer that this practice was not legal in the beginning. Was I misled?

I don't regret filing but I need a job thats going to do something for me. I am getting really frustrated.

Comment

I did some digging and in a more recent post I found that I probably shouldn't have applied for this job anyway because the odds were FAR against me. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Confused33 View Post

I went in after posting this and sat down with the branch manager and explained that I had filed, when I filed, why I filed, ect. She was very understanding and told me she would get it overturned if that was what held things up.

Well, today I FINALLY heard back from the credit union after applying for a number of different positions which I was MORE than qualified for.

The branch manager informed me that the decision to not hire me was solely based on the fact that I had filed BK. She said she did everything in her power to get the decision overturned because she really liked me and thought I would be a great fit for the company.

So what the hell? I was told by my lawyer that this practice was not legal in the beginning. Was I misled?

I don't regret filing but I need a job thats going to do something for me. I am getting really frustrated.
                    THis is the type of stuff that ticks me off. You made a mistake and you are turning a corner and no one wants to give you a shot. This is what is wrong with this country because you had a few problems and filed bk its like you are worthless now. Everything is always about money and that stupid credit score. What a Scam!!!

Comment

Working with money post BK is a difficult career choice. Banks and CU's are one field where a BK can keep you from getting the job if you are in direct contact with money or monetary decisions.
                      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I believe it is legal actually if the job is finance related.
                        Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

I was a branch manager at a bank and they pull credit to see how you can handle your own finances. They believe if you can't manage your own how are you going to manage the banks. However, atleast now since your debtless you won't need money to pay bills (theft). Everyone should get a second shot in my opinion. It will all depend on the bank and their policies. Even an explantion won't really help as it's all up to Human Resources. See if they hire you whom had a BK and didn't hire say Paul who had a BK that's discrimination. Policies, policies, aaahhhh!
                          9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
                          11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
                          01/04/2010 - last day for objections
                          01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

Most banks or financial related companies will up front tell you that your credit will be checked and that bad credit or a BK on your reports can prevent you from getting the job. It's company policy and once you sign the job application, you allow them to check all that and can line yourself up for not getting hired. All this is not new news and irritates a lot of people but what the banks and financial institutions are trying to do is protect themselves from those that make it hard for the rest of the good people that had to file BK. I personally worked contract on a job at a prestigious national bank in the late 90s and saw theiri policy in action many times. They just did not hire due to bad credit or BK and it was directly expressed to applicants. In fact, prior to interviews, an entire credit questionnaire was given to be filled out and returned to list all bills, payments, etc. which eventually was compared to one's credit report.

You may have to go through this until your BK is removed from your credit report after 10 years if you filed a Chapter 7, 7 years if you filed a Chapter 13. Unfortunately, that is just the way it is but being open and honest can and will get you the job -it all depends on the company and the
                            situation.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

So, banks can take our money, and business can file and they can still get a license, and banks can operate. But they hold all of us to a HIGHER standard, we can not file, and we do not take other peoples money when we are in trouble to bail us out for a few years. Pure stupid. So is the new idea floating around that a business is an individual. IF it is then it should pay in to SS for itself, pay rent, own a car, and get cancer. geesh..

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X