How long will I be in the paper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will I be in the paper.

I didn't think this was going to bug me, but when I saw our names in the bankruptcy listing of the online version of our local paper, my stomach got all sick.
    We are among plenty of folks in our county listed as filing between July 21 & 27.
    How often and how long are Bankruptcies listed?

Ick. I'm surprised at myself.
    7/27/09 Filed Chapter 7
    9/3/09 341
    11/3/09 Discharge Date

Originally posted by ease View Post
    We are among plenty of folks in our county listed as filing between July 21 & 27.
    Ick. I'm surprised at myself.
    I personally wouldn't care.

How would you feel if you seen your neighbor in the paper? Would you disown them, or feel sorry?

Maybe those who see your name will have feelings based on what they know of you. If their feelings were good then they might feel sympathetic. If they didn't like you then they might enjoy it.

Comment

In our town, the bankruptcy filings are listed in the Sunday paper. Once your name shows up in that issue, you won't ever see it again. However, I'm not familiar with the online listing. I would assume it could be archived for quite awhile. I know we really shouldn't care what people think, but deep down you feel as if they look at you differently. We filed a Chapter 13 and recently had it dismissed and plan to file a Chapter 7 in October. So, our names will have have appeared twice!! Good luck to you!!

Comment

I don't know why newspapers publish that kind of information anymore. It's a holdover from the days before instant online credit information -- local merchants needed to know. What kind of person gets their jollies by gawking at the misfortune of others?

These days, anybody who needs to know about a bankruptcy is going to know about it. They'll be listed in the matrix.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Heck the people who are reading that section of the paper is most likely looking for there name in the paper, see if they have been called out on; who cares what people think of you, if they are a true friend, then by all means, they will still be your friend even tho your having problems at the moment !

hope this doesn't come across as being mean, just having a bad day here !
          Filed on 7-17-09
          waiting for 341
          341 meeting 8-21-09
          discharged/ case closed 12/23/2009

Comment

Wow... I had no idea they published this information. After reading this post I tried to see online about the notices in my area and could not find anywhere it is posted. Honestly, I'm not so sure I want to know about my fellow neighbors. None of my business really. I think it should not be published. I know it is public knowledge but I don't agree with it.
            08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
            04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
            06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
            08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

I did a little research. It's totally up to the newspaper. There seem to be many papers in the US that don't publish it.
              Our local paper puts it in the business section.
              Ah Well. I feel better after that initial gut wrench.
              So grateful for this forum.
              7/27/09 Filed Chapter 7
              9/3/09 341
              11/3/09 Discharge Date

Comment

It depends on the local newspaper's policy. Sometimes I think the jail logs, felony logs, etc., are put there to fill up blank spaces.

Our daily mullet wrapper uses all kinds of fluff to justify their existence. Their website is absolutely pitiful with only one or two news stories and one or two sports stories. They want people to buy their product, yet there is no incentive to do so--other than the obituaries.......
                "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Our local paper does not publish it thankfully.
                  4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                  5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                  7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                  7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RainMoM View Post
                    Heck the people who are reading that section of the paper is most likely looking for there name in the paper, see if they have been called out on; who cares what people think of you, if they are a true friend, then by all means, they will still be your friend even tho your having problems at the moment !

hope this doesn't come across as being mean, just having a bad day here !
                    In our paper all BK listings, Chapter 7s, 13s and 11s, are listed every Sunday right in the business section next to the stock section. You can't miss it if you read the business section or check stock information.

Bk information is public, like births, deaths, arrests and marriage licenses, all of which are published in our newspaper. Thankfully the only things listed are names, addresses and towns - no street address. In the published BKs, the names of the parties are listed and the town in which they reside, including the amounts of assets and liabilities.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Our local fish wrapper publishes the legals on Saturday, the police report every day, and the obit column every day. The legals are a form of advertising revenue, the obits are a form of advertising revenue, the police reports they publish for free.

Nothing about bk is ever published.
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Just think of it like this...You might have a few people who are very nosy and it might be a topic of discussion for a brief time but with this economy everyone is stuggling and they know it... Next week it will be someone else they know and yours will be forgotten!!
                        Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones
                        Chapter 13 filed 10-21-09
                        Discharged 4-13-15

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X