No announcement yet.

Best Buy Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any purchases within 90 days could be at the risk of being labeled non-dischargeable. That means that you would have to pay. Theoretically, your items are secured with Best Buy, and they can ask for them back. It does not seem that they generally go through with it, but it is a legal method that they can employ to attempt to collect after bankruptcy. Secured property is secured property.

As for wedding rings, I know that my state EXEMPTS them unlimited, but that is only if you own them. Again, they are secured property.

To be honest here, bankruptcy is about a fresh start. It is not about attempting to keep items that are not exempt by law without paying for them. This is the way that it works for any other secured property. You can not discharge your mortgage debt and stay living in your home. You can not discharge your car debt and keep driving your car. You can not discharge any secured property debt and keep that property if the creditor wants it back, and comes to get it.

So yes, the jewelry store can get the rings back. They would need to come and get them, if you don't want to give them up, they would need a court order. They can also get a court order compelling you to bring them in.

It does NOT make a creditor a "nasty person" for repossessing property that they have a security interest in. Yes, they have to do certain things to do it, and for the average price wedding rings, it probably isn't worth it. But lets be real here... they are a business, and trying to protect their assets, which in this case, is their receivable.
    Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
    Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
    If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

They refused our offer and actually came and repossed the tv. They wouldn't accept anything less than full payment. I'm hearing people say "ignore it," but I wanted the fresh start. And of course, the next week our paid for tv went out. Figures!

Comment

seriously!! what kind of TV?
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by COgirl View Post
          They refused our offer and actually came and repossed the tv. They wouldn't accept anything less than full payment. I'm hearing people say "ignore it," but I wanted the fresh start. And of course, the next week our paid for tv went out. Figures!
          Why did you let them take something from your house?
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Tbornetun View Post
            Just a letter, for now. If the purchase was really close to the filing date they could file something with the court to make that specific purchase non-dischargeable. Wait it out and see what happens, they would have to file something disputing the dischargeability of the debt with the court and the court would have to agree, in order to collect.
            Tbornetun

In case you're still hanging around here. My last purchase from BestBuy was November 09 for under $300 and for now I don't know whether it still is staying at the pawn shop or it has changed its ownership. Other stuff I bought from them were TV, computer, printer, ipods, cameras, LCD cleaning solution but before June 09. Would they file objection?
            Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Ignore Best Buy

Hello all,

.......posts about BB threatening people to get a reaffirmation/redemption/money run through this forum like a rash.

IGNORE THEM

No one has ever posted that BB actually came for the stuff.

This tactic frightens some people into forking over some $$. It costs very little to implement and must be profitable or they wouldn't do it. Actually going after property is expensive to implement, is not profitable, and that is why they don't do it.

Just ignore them,

Tom in Colo
              Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I guess my words to them would be : if you REALLY want them, you can come and get them. Seriously- what would BB do with used equipment??
                Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X