top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else ever do the math? (I am feeling sick!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinfoilhat View Post
    Yet they risk their lives to escape mexico to live in the US.
    I guess making a point doesn't always have to make sense.
    Problem is that those are not generally the same "they." I know it is fun for some folks to hate on the brown people from time to time, but it undermines the impact of your snarkiness when most of the immigrants (legal or not) come from the rural interior and cities. The people easily feeding their families (like in the story) are not too interested in risking the necks to be fruit pickers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahaton View Post
      Problem is that those are not generally the same "they." I know it is fun for some folks to hate on the brown people from time to time, but it undermines the impact of your snarkiness when most of the immigrants (legal or not) come from the rural interior and cities. The people easily feeding their families (like in the story) are not too interested in risking the necks to be fruit pickers.
      Thank you for making this point.

Comment

The thing I will say about illegal immigration is that this is not the time for our government to turn a blind eye towards them and call it compassion. We have people from this forum alone sleeping in cars. While states have run out of money, not one responsible leader mentions the money being allocated to those who are not permitted to be here. Nope, rather, they prefer to cut back from us. When I look around my town, a good portion of skilled jobs are going to people who are quite obviously illegal immigrants. Jobs that could be undertaken by the millions of Americans living on food stamps or little to nothing. People like us really.

Now, I don't blame the illegal immigrants for trying but our government and any responsible leader has a duty of care to look out for the people of this country first, before nationals of another country. After all, it's not as if we are rolling in the cash and have surplus to spare.
        My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
        posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Oh yea, it's a great story, just leave out the mexican stuff and it'll be a perfect story.

Comment

This is a lovely thread about the great things we learn in BK.
            Last edited by bkmaggster; 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM. Reason: I was way off topic

Comment

Oh yea, it's a great story, just leave out the mexican stuff and it'll be a perfect story.
              The point that the poster was making is that your perception of cultural values in Mexico is skewed by the poverty in the urban interior, not of life in coastal fishing villages. The "mexican stuff" makes perfect sense when viewed from a different perspective than the one you are used to.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmaggster View Post
                I know I for one, would love to pick fruit, do janitorial service, or be a dishwasher. Especially for less than minimum wage and/or in unsafe, unsanitary conditions. I think most american citizens feel the same way.

Except they don't.

Don't kid yourself, cheap illegal labor is the grease of our current economy. IMO, the answer doesn't lie in the government, but in corporate responsibility.

FYI, my opinion is worth less than $.02, as I'm bankrupt!

But the moral of the story was that there are different ways of living that may be more enjoyable than the never-ending pursuit of cash. Whatever you think about Mexican nationals has nothing to do with the validity of the moral.
                +1 I totally agree with bkmaggster. Also, I think a discussion on the evils of illegal immigration belongs in another thread, probably in the general discussion section. This thread is more about realizing our changing values towards money in my opinion.

Just my opinion....
                You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                  +1 I totally agree with bkmaggster. Also, I think a discussion on the evils of illegal immigration belongs in another thread, probably in the general discussion section. This thread is more about realizing our changing values towards money in my opinion.

Just my opinion....
                  I agree, in fact I'm going to go back and self-censor...

Comment

I know I for one, would love to pick fruit, do janitorial service, or be a dishwasher. Especially for less than minimum wage and/or in unsafe, unsanitary conditions. I think most american citizens feel the same way.

Except they don't.

Don't kid yourself, cheap illegal labor is the grease of our current economy. IMO, the answer doesn't lie in the government, but in corporate responsibility.

FYI, my opinion is worth less than $.02, as I'm bankrupt!

But the moral of the story was that there are different ways of living that may be more enjoyable than the never-ending pursuit of cash. Whatever you think about Mexican nationals has nothing to do with the validity of the moral.
                    It's not only effecting Americans getting jobs as janitors. How about the banks, big hardware stores, etc, etc, etc hiring with bilingual a plus. An American like me applies for the job, shops at the places and slowly begin to see the positions filling up with "light brown people" WHO CAN'T SPEAK EFFING ENGLISH WORTH A SHIT BTW.

The point is, there are so many of "them" here now that corperate America has to hire "them" instead of "US"
                    **** your god damn story.

Comment

Tinfoil, you know I think you are great...but please chill out. It's a lovely Saturday. I already deleted what I said because it's not even worth discussing here.

Also - not my story, but thanks for the implied cuss out! :P

Comment

It's not only effecting Americans getting jobs as janitors. How about the banks, big hardware stores, etc, etc, etc hiring with bilingual a plus. An American like me applies for the job, shops at the places and slowly begin to see the positions filling up with "light brown people" WHO CAN'T SPEAK EFFING ENGLISH WORTH A SHIT BTW.

The point is, there are so many of "them" here now that corperate America has to hire "them" instead of "US"
                        Tinfoilhat, why post something so nasty, on a thread that is about our changing values towards money?

Attacking bkmaggster is not furthering the discussion in my opinion.
                        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

The point that the poster was making is that your perception of cultural values in Mexico is skewed by the poverty in the urban interior, not of life in coastal fishing villages. The "mexican stuff" makes perfect sense when viewed from a different perspective than the one you are used to.
                          Well I don't live in a dream land over here in the US watching positions being filled by "brown people" I see life as it is.

Just my opinion....
                          I'm sure there are a few people in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy due to "brown people"

Where I live we see the freshest ones here, I worked with a herd of them, they don't jump the border, they go out on a boat. Thats what they all said. And this is what I'm talking about.

I lived in Texas before too and most of the the mexicans near where I was have lived there for generations, hell most of them don't even speak spanish or know how. YOUR perceptions of mexicans might be skewed as well.

Comment

Tinfoilhat, why post something so nasty, on a thread that is about our changing values towards money?

Attacking bkmaggster is not furthering the discussion in my opinion.
                            I'm not attacking anyone, I'm stating my point.

Comment

Well I don't live in a dream land over here in the US watching positions being filled by "brown people" I see life as it is.

I'm sure there are a few people in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy due to "brown people"

Where I live we see the freshest ones here, I worked with a herd of them, they don't jump the border, they go out on a boat. Thats what they all said. And this is what I'm talking about.

I lived in Texas before too and most of the the mexicans near where I was have lived there for generations, hell most of them don't even speak spanish or know how. YOUR perceptions of mexicans might be skewed as well.
                              I deleted what I said because I am not interested in discussing immigration issues. I am interested in discussing the gratitude we can feel for our fresh starts.

I am not going to be baited into an internet fight. Have a nice day.

Comment

Also - not my story, but thanks for the implied cuss out! :P

See this is why I get pissed off, people pick things apart to no end. I know it's not your story, I thought you'd see the point, thought you were smart enough that I should have said "the" instead of "your"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X