Ex-wife Chapter 7 Intent to Surrender House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex-wife Chapter 7 Intent to Surrender House

My ex-wife and I divorced earlier this year (2009). As part of the divorce and property settlement, I got use and possession of the house, with the caveat that I have her name removed from the mortgages and subsequently the deed by April, 2010. Unfortunately, I am not able to refinance right now for a number of reasons (bad credit, negative equity, etc.). I was content on waiting until April, 2010, seeing if I could refinance at that time and then seeing where the chips fell in state court as to a Partition and Sale of the Property. The property is held as joint tenants since we purchased it before we were married. The first mortgage is now current and was recently reinstated when I completed a Repayment Plan that occurred when I was unemployed. I continue to make the regular monthly payments. I make regular payments on the second mortgage, but it was charged off as "bad debt" by the mortgage holder. Obviously they did not release their lien however.

There is no equity in the house at this point.

My ex-wife has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and has indicated her intent to surrender the property. I would like to stay in the house if at all possible. I have the means and the desire to continue making the regular payments.

What will the trustee want to do with the property as part of her BK? Since their is no equity for her estate, will the trustee simply abandon the asset? If the trustee attempts to sell the property, which I doubt will happen, can I object based on "detriment to the other co-owner".

If the asset is abandoned by her estate, what will the bank do? Will they try to foreclose even though the mortgage is being paid on a regular basis? Do they have grounds to foreclose under Maryland state law? Or, will they just leave everything "as-is", happily accept my money every month and move forward? Can they require her to execute a "quit-claim" deed since she will no longer be responsible for the mortgage? I should say that under the divorce agreement I'm responsible for everything related to the house.

Any information is really appreciated.

When she surrenders, she is only surrendering her interest in and liability for that home. The mortgage company would be looking at you to continue payments, as you are not filing bankruptcy. The mortgage company may need to file a Quit Claim (QC) on your wife's behalf to remove her from the mortgage and note.

Other than that, you have no worries. You may want to keep up on her bankruptcy case.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

My ex-wife and I are in the same situation except she got the house. I did do a quick claim deed and took my name off the title. She was suppose to refinance and have my name removed from the mortgage, however after I filled chapter 7 I have no responsibly for the mortgage so I did not pursue her to get a new mortgage.
      With my chapter 7 the mortgage company is not able to make any effort to collect it from me; they can not even report the mortgage on my credit report. While I did have to remind them of this once they did correct my credit report as soon as I notified them.
      The only concern might be if she stops making the payments and they have to foreclose on the mortgage I could possibly have a foreclosure on my record and I am not even sure of that.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X