No announcement yet.

Did you ever notice........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gift to yourself that truly keeps on giving....

As stated earlier, deciding to file was the hardest part. Seven months ago I woke up one morning and said enough is enough. That first meeting with my attorney was terrifying, and afterwards I was so shook up did something very rare....went to a bar and had a drink! (which actually helped). If there ever is a "man behind the curtain" experience inlife, it's the awakening that occurs once you finally turn the tables on the banks which previously ruled your life and say no. But the important point is it's not not "them" out there that caused the grief and misery and sorrow of being under a mountain of debt, it's you....and you will finally take responsibility for that fact. After living on a cash only system for 7 months an almost magical discovery comes upon you...you don't need as much "stuff" as you though you did. The conditioning of our culture, advertising, keeping up with the Jone's, etc reveals itself for what it truly is...an illusion. There was a time when it was rather important to me to be behind the wheel of a (leased) German luxury car. Now when I see one of those poor souls behind the wheel of one I have pity. Ever noticed the grimaced faces of most (not all) driving those shiny things? Yes an 850/mon. lease payment has an effect far greater than the scent of that sumptuous leather interior. Days go by without a anything in mailbox. I've gone from not even being able to utter the word "bankruptcy" in public, to sometimes proclaiming (smiling) right in the middle of a retail store "I can't buy that, I'm bankrupt"....watch how quickly that pesky retail clerk melts away.......

Comment

Originally posted by lillybell View Post
      I also read where god forgives us and every 7 years we have a fresh start a clean slate with debt...I file my paper work in the morning.. I loved what you wrote and its all true...
      This is true. For those of you who are religious, Christian in particular, I know that you can catch a lot of garbage from people at church or whatever. A lot of people don't realize this but modern BK laws can be traced to the Old Testament. Specifically Deuteronomy 15 states that at the end of every seventh year all outstanding debts were to be cancelled.
      Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
      341 Meeting 09/09/09
      Discharged 11/12/09
      Closed 12/14/09

Comment

Originally posted by tempron View Post
        I've gone from not even being able to utter the word "bankruptcy" in public, to sometimes proclaiming (smiling) right in the middle of a retail store "I can't buy that, I'm bankrupt"....watch how quickly that pesky retail clerk melts away.......
        tempron...I was driving by a tire place last weekend and decided to stop in to see if they carried the tires I needed for my car and what it would cost to have them put on. After the saleman gave me his quote he said he could put them on that day. I said I couldn't do it that day but maybe next week after I got paid. He then tried to sign me up for one of their credit cards. In which I said "No, thank you. I just filed bankruptcy so I only pay in cash." He was like..oh, okay and then looked at me like I had just wasted his time. So, yeah, it's funny to see their reactions sometimes.

Six months ago just saying the word "bankruptcy" made me ill. Now it's like I just blurt it out without thinking.
        Stopped paying CC...April 2009
        Filed CH 7 no-asset...Aug. 19, 2009
        341 meeting...Sept. 22, 2009
        DISCHARGED Nov. 24, 2009 CLOSED Dec. 9, 2009

Comment

I need to add to the list, day 55 after my 341, I have become wiser....

Did you ever notice after filing BK...

You made a whole new group of friends in this forum, the ones that truely understand what it is really feels like.

You actually like to research the things that affect your BK, I wish I would have done my research before I got into financial trouble.

You drive yourself nuts with the "what-ifs" ....a word we never used or knew existed until we filed.

You can remember the important dates and times, like your 341, discharge date and closing date, but struggle when asked our own date of birth.

People actually tell me I look happier and healhier...go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by dspii View Post
            After filing BK......
            • Going to the mailbox is fun again.

You can design awesome "Mobiles" out of all those useless credit cards as a reminder of what was.

Your not filling 2 garbage bags a week with all that junk mail and paying for the disposal.

Your wallet got much thinner and your back does hurt as much from carrying the plastic around.

The phone doesn't ring...unless it's someone you want to talk to.

Even though they shut off your online access to your accounts...they still fill your inbox with junk email...that includes the cute comment "To opt-out of these emails, just log on to your account...???

Although dirty and over 80% of it has traces of cocaine on it...paper money actually feels pretty good.

You now have time for the important things in life...you and your family...since doing bills now takes minutes and not days.

Aside from the fears of the BK process, you actually feel pretty good, life is beginning to be enjoyable.

You really don't need to argue about money...it's now obvious you don't have any, you need to strategize your budget (include savings), live by it, wait a few months and look at the rewards.

Did you ever notice that after you file BK.....the incredibly overbearing weight you carried around for years is finally lifted...you now have a chance for a "Fresh Start", use it wisely, remember we only get one life to live...how will you decide to live?

I just thought this forum could use some humor (and fact) from the BK process. It is a serious decision, as I read about all the tragic events and the stress that it puts on everyone close to us. It is important for all of us to realize we have been give the opportunity for a "Fresh Start"...use it wisely.
            I totally agree with this! I dreaded checking my mail. In fact I quit opening ALL my mail, because I didn't want to deal with it, I didn't know how to deal with it. It is SO nice to not have all those bills coming in from who knows where because the account was sold to two or three other companies. The fact that all that unpaid debt in the back of my mind no longer is there, is such a great weight lifted off my shoulders. I feel like I can breathe again, and actually not be afraid to buy myself clothes now. I don't have to worry about the sheriff looking for me anymore to serve me summons papers.
            BK filing ~ May 14, 2010
            341 Meeting ~ June 29, 2010
            Discharge ~ August 31, 2010

Comment

Did you come up with that on your own.

If so, I may have to steal it

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                Did you come up with that on your own.

If so, I may have to steal it
                One of my more creative moments...but damn is it so true.............

Comment

We go to see an attny. tomorrow. Your words give me something to look forward to. Like Christmas, with the only present being true freedom.
                  Who said it, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose?" Wise man.

Comment

Originally posted by brendamc67 View Post
                    We go to see an attny. tomorrow. Your words give me something to look forward to. Like Christmas, with the only present being true freedom.
                    Who said it, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose?" Wise man.
                    Actually, it was a wise woman. Janis Joplin, "Me and Bobby McGee."

Good luck! Speaking personally, for me I noticed that I no longer lie awake at night trying to juggle bills so I can get the most important ones paid off (it was always, pay the CCs first because of the late fees. Utility bills second, because they don't hound you as bad. I learned what bills I could get away with paying only partially.)

I also noticed that the stack o bills at my desk is MUCH smaller. Just utility bills, and my cell phone bill. Whee!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X