top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do creditors start garnishments or bank levy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • techguy74
    replied
    Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
    This is the entire purpose of NEVER, EVER giving out your real SSN when you open a checking account. They use your SSN to find your account. This is why I recommend opening a checking account without it. Only creditors and your employer need a SSN. When opening a checking account, they should not require your SSN.
    Don't see how you can give a fake SS # and it not be seen as fraud, especially since the Patriot Act.

    Leave a comment:


  • snowangel
    replied
    I am no where near as knowledgeable as many people on here, but I can add a few cents worth to the conversation
    My husband has a CC that has not been paid since early 2005, it is roughly 3K with Household bank. It was up until recently the only card we had defaulted on. While we did receive many threats throughout the past 4 years about suing us, it is not until very very recent that they actually did file something.

    About bank accounts, many of our now delinquent had been paid off our main bank account. We have closed that account and opened a new one so that no one has our new account number!!!

    Good luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • pookieny
    replied
    Captitol one will sue you after about a year of not paying.

    Leave a comment:


  • OverItinVA
    replied
    We stopped paying on our credit cards in October 2008. We told all of the creditors that we were filing Chapter 7 (most of them said "oh, sorry" and just updated their files). We didn't get any wage garnishments and were only served a Warrant in Debt in September 2009 - a month after we had filed our BK papers so it was no big deal.

    Leave a comment:


  • pookieny
    replied
    Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
    This is the entire purpose of NEVER, EVER giving out your real SSN when you open a checking account. They use your SSN to find your account. This is why I recommend opening a checking account without it. Only creditors and your employer need a SSN. When opening a checking account, they should not require your SSN.
    I don't know how you can open a bank account without one? As far as giving a fake one, they can check on Lexis Nexis to make sure it matches up.

    Leave a comment:


  • debtmonster
    replied
    This is the entire purpose of NEVER, EVER giving out your real SSN when you open a checking account. They use your SSN to find your account. This is why I recommend opening a checking account without it. Only creditors and your employer need a SSN. When opening a checking account, they should not require your SSN.

    Leave a comment:


  • pookieny
    replied
    Whirlwind- It depends on the cc company if they pursue judgements. Many don't, Capitol one does and it's usually about a year from when you stop paying. Some states don't even allow garnishmenst from cc, my state, NY, does allow them.

    Leave a comment:


  • whirlwind123
    replied
    Last payments were made in july to most of my creditors., the end of July., I am sure they all have my bank account as I paid online with online banking., they cannot just bank levy without a judgement from what I read here., how long is that., I am meeting with my new attorney tuesday.

    Leave a comment:


  • pookieny
    replied
    Capitol One got 3 judgements against me because I had 3 cards with them. One for $500, one for $1000, and one for $3000. With their fees and late charges they both were doubled by then. It was about a year of not paying when they got the judgement but their colleciton agency Roth and Rubenstein hounded me to death before then. It went to the sheriffs department and they garnished my paycheck and put a freeze on one of my bank accnts for almost $10,000, doubled what I acutally owed.

    Leave a comment:


  • pookieny
    replied
    I think they get your bank account number if you ever paid them with it. But I'm sure they have other sneaky ways. There really isn't anything someone can find out about you these days, unless you live under the radar on some compound out west.

    If you have ever owed money to the IRS and call them, they want to know what bank you are with so they can go in and grab it if they need to. That is why I am now leaning to becoming more under the radar and keeping quiet about any thing of worth I get in the future so no one can lay claim to it.

    My nephew never keeps money in bank accounts because he says banks steal your money. I always thought he was a little too paranoid but I now quite agree with him.
    Last edited by pookieny; 09-17-2009, 04:31 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 123ABC
    replied
    funny enough no... i have no idea how they got my bank info.

    Leave a comment:


  • debtmonster
    replied
    Originally posted by 123ABC View Post
    I stopped paying in Feb 07. They sued me in july/august ish of 08. I filed on August 6 2009. Quite a while... they did get liens on my house but those are no big deal because once you file you can have them removed. No garnishment. I will say they did try to go into my bank account and take money but I never have any money in there so it was no big deal. They got nothing.
    How did they get your bank account # to try? Did you ever give it to them in the past for an auto-pay?

    Leave a comment:


  • 123ABC
    replied
    I stopped paying in Feb 07. They sued me in july/august ish of 08. I filed on August 6 2009. Quite a while... they did get liens on my house but those are no big deal because once you file you can have them removed. No garnishment. I will say they did try to go into my bank account and take money but I never have any money in there so it was no big deal. They got nothing.

    Leave a comment:


  • debtmonster
    replied
    Originally posted by 123ABC View Post
    I didnt pay them for almost 3 years by the time I filed. Capital One and Citi both sued over less than 2k on each... BofA that I owed almost 10k to never bothered. It all depends. They each took over 2 years to sue and never got the garnishment stage. I think it all depends who buys the debt.
    What was the timeframe between the time you were sued and the time you legally filed bankruptcy?

    Leave a comment:


  • 123ABC
    replied
    I didnt pay them for almost 3 years by the time I filed. Capital One and Citi both sued over less than 2k on each... BofA that I owed almost 10k to never bothered. It all depends. They each took over 2 years to sue and never got the garnishment stage. I think it all depends who buys the debt.

    Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X