top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do creditors start garnishments or bank levy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • debtmonster
    replied
    I had LOTS of defaulted credit cards over the years, but over 95% of them each had $1500 balances or less. I was never notified by anyone about getting my wages garnished, which I thought was odd to go this long. I did have many CA's threaten me over the years, but they never sued me. Most of the time I had CA's calling me while I was unemployed collecting $200/wk unemployment checks. I would literally beg them to sue me. Is it possible to garnish unemployment checks or can they only garnish W2 checks? Is it possible to garnish 1099 income?

    I think I remember having a balance of almost $3,000 with Capital One from a balance I had from 1998 or so. By 2003 they tracked me down. I remember all of the phone calls. I had loud screaming matches with them on the phone and they never did anything. So they can't sue after all that time, right, because of the statute of limitations?

    Leave a comment:


  • backtoschool
    replied
    Originally posted by whirlwind123 View Post
    I have been reading thru the forum and notice that some people have not paid their cc for a year or so before they filed bankruptcy., is this normal that the cc companies didn't file a judgement before this.
    Could someone please explain.
    It all depends. I didn't pay on some of my cards for a year before filing, and none of them sued. They all had balances over 10k.

    The three lawsuits I did get were all from JDBs that had purchased my debt and sued me immediately upon purchasing the debt. Those cards were under a year past due and were for less than $2,000 each.

    Leave a comment:


  • justbroke
    replied
    A creditor can only levy your accounts or garnish your wages through a Court Order. Until they have such Order, they cannot levy or garnish your accounts.

    Now, don't confuse a "right of setoff" with a levy or garnishment. If you have credit accounts where you have demand deposit or other deposit accounts, most agreements include a statement that the Bank is entitled to a so-called right of setoff shoudl you not pay your credit accounts.

    Leave a comment:


  • When do creditors start garnishments or bank levy

    I have been reading thru the forum and notice that some people have not paid their cc for a year or so before they filed bankruptcy., is this normal that the cc companies didn't file a judgement before this.
    Could someone please explain.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X