Internet allowed on means test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet allowed on means test?

What all can be included on line 32 of means test? It says "other necessary expenses: telecommunication services". Can I add my internet here? What about extra features on my cell phone? Thanks for help.

You can put reasonable telecommunication expenses necessary for the health and welfare of your family. Perhaps phones for the kids, GPS tracking fees, internet fees. The things you put here shouldn't be extravagant. I have read one Trustee Guide which indicates that values over $100 are questioned (documentation required). I put $151 in that box on mine, and was never questioned about it (but I'm in a Chapter 13).

You can include things like pagers, call waiting, caller ID, & internet. You can't include really extravagant things... like 3-way calling, etc. It should be reasonable too.

Here's a note from a Trustee Guide on Line 32...

Line 32, Important note: Basic telephone (land line and cellular) are included in Line 20A and are not to be duplicated here.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      You can put reasonable telecommunication expenses necessary for the health and welfare of your family. Perhaps phones for the kids, GPS tracking fees, internet fees. The things you put here shouldn't be extravagant. I have read one Trustee Guide which indicates that values over $100 are questioned (documentation required). I put $151 in that box on mine, and was never questioned about it (but I'm in a Chapter 13).

You can include things like pagers, call waiting, caller ID, & internet. You can't include really extravagant things... like 3-way calling, etc. It should be reasonable too.

Here's a note from a Trustee Guide on Line 32...
      It depends on the district too. I was told it could not exceed $50.
      March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
      Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

When I put my phone, I did not go into all of those details. I just listed it as "home phone" or "cell phone" and that was it.

Comment

Originally posted by TooMuchCredit View Post
          It depends on the district too. I was told it could not exceed $50.
          Yep, that's why I wrote "I have read one Trustee Guide". Almost all Trustees have different "trigger" points for things included on the form.

In no way should any debtor ever consider that "trigger" point to be a ceiling of what you can claim. That trigger point is only where the Trustee will either require more documentation and/or fight you over it.

There is no way a Trustee can say it "can not exceed". Those lines literally have no limit, but you will get into a fight. The Congress sought fit to add several lines on the Means Test by which there is no "standard" and that reasonable amounts can be spent in those areas, with appropriate documentation. Like the "additional energy expense", which I was able to put $250/month in that category. I supplied my electric bill alone, and the Trustee had nothing to say.

Originally posted by debtmonster
          When I put my phone, I did not go into all of those details. I just listed it as "home phone" or "cell phone" and that was it.
          I didn't put any descriptive text on the line. I didn't even defend it.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

In my district you cannot exceed $130 for landline, cellphone and cable tv combined.
            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I put $55 on this line for internet and it wasn't questioned. I listed cell phones in another area and that was $125 for 3 phones (no landline).
              Filed Ch. 7 Pro Se: 12/11/08
              341 Meeting: 1/7/09
              Trustee's Report of No Distribution: 1/9/09
              Discharged: 3/10/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X