DirecTv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DirecTv

My wife and I are moving at the end of September and since we are moving to the country, there is no cable available. We currently have Cable, Internet and Phone service through Comcast. They stop 1.8 miles down the road from where we live.

I called the phone company on Tuesday to setup service for our new place and they have a package deal (phone and DirecTv) for one monthly price. I wanted to get High Speed Internet as well, but that isn't available.

I was worried about ordering DirecTv because I know they do credit checks and since my wife and I filed Chapter 7 back in June, I was pretty certain that we would have to pay a huge deposit for service.

When I was on the phone with the rep from the phone company, she asked me for my social security number so she could see if we qualified. After about 5 minutes (which seemed like an eternity), she said that she would need to take a $19.95 deposit for DirecTv to setup service. I asked her if everything checked out OK with my credit and she said yes, no problems what so ever.

That was a big sigh of relief right there because I was going to go with Dish Networks Prepay, but I don't have the money to buy all the equipment.

I am curious: Since my Bankruptcy hasn't discharged yet, could this be the reason why I passed there credit check? I have heard that they go by credit scores and when I checked mine last week, it was 620. I am sure it will drop when I am discharged, which is soon. My 60 days is up on October 5th.
    Filed (Pro Se) - 06/23/2009.
    341 meeting - 08/05/2009.
    Last day for objections - 10/05/2009.
    Discharged - 10/06/2009

I wouldn't make too many assumptions...I doubt your score is going to drop with discharge! The damage is done when you file. The fact that you made it through to discharge would make you a better credit risk, when you think about it (as opposed to a dismissal!)

I asked some questions about cable, etc. a week ago as they say they do credit checks, but the overwhelming response is that they do not. They want a "credit card" to charge in case of default, but I was told that a debit card works just fine.

Good luck, and stop worrying. Enjoy your debt-free life!!!!
    Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
    341 Meeting 09/09/09
    Discharged 11/12/09
    Closed 12/14/09

Comment

During the next 10 years, you will encounter acceptances you just can't believe and also denials which will get you upset. Just expect more denials as to credit and know that the BK on your records is the main cause.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I ran into the same thing with Comcast when we changed 5 months ago. I figured when she asked for my ss number, I'd be paying a large deposit or maybe they wouldn't let me have comcast. Well all they asked for was a month in advance. No biggie since they has a special going and that made low.
        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Thats weird because when we moved pre BK filing and were maxed out and tons of lates we were asked for a 300$ deposit... In the end we ended up returning the service because we didnt have a clear view to setup the dish.

But we plan on moving next year into a house where I am going to be sure we can get directv so I wonder what deposit they will require since we will be about 3-4 months discharged then.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X