top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my employer be audited for me filing chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can my employer be audited for me filing chapter 7?

Can my employer be audited for me filing chapter 7? ex. Can my employer be asked to provide copies of checks etc. to anybody during this process? I do not want my employer to find out that i am claiming bankruptcy.

No. Your employer is required to provide income information to the irs in the form of a W2 or 1099 at the end of each year.. You will need your tax returns which have this information. They wouldn't be asked for checks, but you could be...
    Filed 10/8/09
    341 11/2/09
    Last Day For Objections 1/4/10
    Discharged 1/5/10

Comment

Correct, the answer is no.
      The only way your employer might be involved is if you hold a security clearance for the government as a worker or a contractor.
      Then they will see it, eventually.

Comment

Remember that BK filings are PUBLIC although they would have to be really looking to find the filing. Some towns have papers that publish BK filings.
        7-2-2009 Filed
        8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
        10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Do you have an employment contract? Or are you just an at will employee? If you have a contract, review it and see if you are required to inform your employer if you file bankruptcy. If that or any similar clause is in there, and you do not comply, you could end up getting fired for noncompliance.

The only other way your employer would find out if you file a Chapter 7 is if someone tells them, you let it slip or they see it published in the newspaper if your local or regional papers publish BK filings. Be careful what you tell your coworkers or how loud you speak on your office phones about personal business. You'd be amazed in some offices at what you can hear in offices several doors down via air vents.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X