Eeeps... letter from the IRS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eeeps... letter from the IRS?

I have an online mail system (earthclassmail.com) and today I got a letter in the mail from the IRS. They estimate that it is less than 12 pages... lol. All I can see is the outside envelope of it. It wasn't certified or anything...

So, now I'm freaking out wondering what the hell is in that envelope. Getting a letter from the IRS is generally never a good thing. I requested a scan of the contents, but it won't be done till sometime tomorrow probably.

So........ now I get to sit here worrying about it. Anybody get any IRS letters lately? Any standard correspondance about a tax break or a tax credit or something? Does bankruptcy trigger something with the IRS?

I had no back tax issues or anything and did not have them as a creditor at all.

Any ideas? Or am I getting an audit letter???
    BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
    Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

My first thought was that you are being audited, but I could be wrong. We never received anything from the IRS related to our bankruptcy. Did you have any kind of refund due that maybe they are holding on to as part of your BK?
    Filed Ch 7 - 07/10/08
    341 Meeting - 08/13/08
    DISCHARGED! - 10/15/08
    CLOSED - 10/20/08

Comment

Nope.... grrrr this is making my tummy all crazy upset waiting for the scan to come in. I did get a letter from the IRS a while back about those tax credits and stuff ... I'm hoping its about that. The envelope looks kind of thick though.

I can't imagine what it would be... my audit flags are very low whenever I do my taxes with turbotax.com ...
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.

Comment

We received a letter from the IRS a couple of weeks ago. They were trying to show that dh's employer (in 2007) didn't actually hold out state & local taxes (even tho our tax return said otherwise). They said we owed them like $2500 + interest (when in fact we only owed them the $98 that we already paid them in 2007 ). Ofcourse I hunted down dh's W-2's for 2007 and sent it to them with a nice letter asking them to please correct their mistake! Idiots!
        Filed 8/2009
        Discharged & Closed 11/2009
        Now the rebuilding begins....

Comment

I got an envelope like that from the IRS from about a week ago. They said something like they hadn't received my 2005 tax return, and they took the opportunity to do it themselves, and that I owed $5.66. I have no idea what they are talking about, but there is no way I'm going to start any trouble with the IRS for $5.66.

Comment

Hmm... yea I got a letter from them a long time ago saying I owed them 10,000 dollars and nearly had a heart attack. They were saying I didn't report some sold stock income ... they were just shares my company gave to us as bonuses and when I sold them they took taxes out of the amount and it showed on my W-2.

I had to call them up and tell them it was already on there... and they were like "oh yea...there it is".

So... I'm hoping it's something dumb like that. Maybe they are just doing routine stuff the last few weeks. *crosses fingers*

Besides, I thought when you get an audit letter they came certified mail?

Comment

we got a letter recently too. they said we made a mistake and owe them $2500. seriously! we'll have to call. what is people's experience getting someone on the phone from them? does it take all day or does someone actually pick up?
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09
              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

any letter that I received regarding oweing them money came certified. I have been dealing with these thugs for over ten years. Just remember, they are not always right.

Comment

Originally posted by knotholeone View Post
                  any letter that I received regarding oweing them money came certified. I have been dealing with these thugs for over ten years. Just remember, they are not always right.
                  Yep, you got that dang right. I ran into some snags with the IRS a few years ago. They said I owed them some money and that I did not do my returns correctly when in fact I thought I had them done correctly. I sent all the necessary documents to the Adversary department for the IRS and the lady who handled my case was very nice and looked over everything and said it was IRS who goofed up, told them I was in the clear. Nobody is perfect though, but it can be a headache when fighting for something one believes was done correctly.
                  Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
                  Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

I have been audited before too. Seems like any time it's bad news from the IRS it always comes certified.
                    Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
                    "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

Ok thank you guys...that makes me feel a little better that this letter didn't come certified!!!

Its probably something stupid with them saying I owe them money or I did something wrong.

The only thing I can think of is it could be about my moving expenses that I deducted this year.... but who knows....still waiting for my scan.

Comment

Yep.. Obama ran out of money$$.. and he needs your help/donation!

Comment

let us know what it is, amy!
                          filed ch7 May 09
                          341 june 09
                          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

One of the stupidest leters I ever received fromt he IRS was this:

Dear DMC,

This letter is to let you know that in your 2006 filing, you mistated the depreciation value of one computer. Note that this mistake does not change the material findings of the tax return and does not affect your tax in any way.

Please do not send us any money.

Regards,

IRS.

Our Govt money at work!
                            11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
                            12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
                            3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                              I have an online mail system (earthclassmail.com) and today I got a letter in the mail from the IRS. They estimate that it is less than 12 pages... lol. All I can see is the outside envelope of it. It wasn't certified or anything...

So, now I'm freaking out wondering what the hell is in that envelope. Getting a letter from the IRS is generally never a good thing. I requested a scan of the contents, but it won't be done till sometime tomorrow probably.

So........ now I get to sit here worrying about it. Anybody get any IRS letters lately? Any standard correspondance about a tax break or a tax credit or something? Does bankruptcy trigger something with the IRS?

I had no back tax issues or anything and did not have them as a creditor at all.

Any ideas? Or am I getting an audit letter???

Apparently everyone and their uncle is suddenly getting IRS letters. I even heard of a guy whose daughter is being asked for her 1040 from 2007

She is 6 years old.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X