To all the rocks in your life..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all the rocks in your life..........

AngelinaCatHub, I dedicate to you, for the wisdom and hope you project into this forum.

Great reading for the tough times in our lives...like now...as I read the stories of despiration, anxiety, and uncertainty...all of which I am guilty...so please read...good stuff.

To all the rocks in your life...........

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When class began, wordlessly he picked up a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks; rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The students laughed. The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

"Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life. The rocks are the important things--your family, your partner, your children anything that is so important to you that if it were lost, you would be nearly destroyed. The pebbles are the other things that matter, like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else, the small stuff."

If you pour the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your energy and time on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the rocks first, the things that really matter. Then take care of the pebbles. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

Thank you

Thank you so much. I humbly accept your dedication. Now after I wipe my tears, I wish to return a story in which at my Mothers Funeral service, I proceeded and read as well as put into her Funeral hand out.

THE STATION
    By R. J. Hastings
    Tucked away in our subconscious is an idyllic vision. We see ourselves on a long trip that spans the continent. We are traveling by train. Out the windows we drink in the passing scene of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at a crossing, of cattle grazing on a distant hillside, of smoke pouring from a power plant, of row upon row of corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of mountains and rolling hillsides, of city skylines and village halls.
    But uppermost in our minds is the final destination. On a certain hour we will pull into the station. Bands will be playing and flags waving. Once we get there so many wonderful pieces of our lives will fit together like a completed jigsaw puzzle. How restlessly we pace the aisles, damning the minutes for loitering--waiting, waiting, waiting for the station.
    "When we reach the station, that will be it!" we cry. "When I'm 18." "When I buy a new 450SL Mercedes Benz!" "When I put the last kid through college." *"When I have paid off the mortgage!" "When I get a promotion." "When I reach the age of retirement, I shall live happily ever after!"
    Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly outdistances us.
    "Relish the moment" is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24: "This is the day the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad. It is the regrets over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who rob us of today.
    So, stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, climb more mountains, eat more ice cream, go barefoot more often, swim more rivers, watch more sunsets, laugh more, cry less. Life must be lived as we go along. The station will come soon enough.

If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks so much for this thread (and this Forum). Just what I needed to read today. I'd like to pass one along, too:

The Dash

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend.
      He referred to the dates on her tombstone, from the beginning - to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth,
      then spoke of the end date with tears.
      But he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents her time on earth...
      and now only those who loved her know
      what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own: the cars... the house... the cash.
      What matters is how we live and love...
      And how we spend our dash.

-unknown
      Last edited by ForTheBest; 10-24-2009, 12:41 PM. Reason: formatting correction

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful postings. For me, I have been caught up in all this BK stuff it has almost consumed me. It's like I've been holding my breath, waiting for our discharge. I guess that has been my "station". Thank you for reminding me to step back and enjoy all the good things I have in my life.
        Filed Non-Consumer Chapter 7: 07/31/2009
        341 Hearing: 09/03/2009
        Last Day for Creditor's Objections: 11/02/2009
        Discharged! 11/03/2009 CLOSED! 01/05/2010

Comment

How sappy can y'all get?

I feel like I'm watching Lifetime or something.
          Last edited by MSbklawyer; 10-24-2009, 02:30 PM.
          Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Aw come on, MSbklawyer, fess up... you read it all, didn't you? lol

Besides, it can't be Lifetime... no murders, no nurses in the delivery room snatching newborns. More like Hallmark.

Comment

Some time ago, many years, when I ran a BBS board, I used to put a similar post as this on at Christmas time. Other than Christmas stuff, I set a web page with this cartoon and music. I think it appropriate here for those who understand. 'Hub

If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Well, 'Hub, that song got me crying. Geesh, if I'm in tears now, what's Christmas gonna be like around here? I definitely should have stocked up on more kleenex before I filed.

Comment

Yes, thank you for this thread and this forum.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X