Why...anyone have knowledge of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snowangel View Post
    Was also told by all of them that this is very uncommon.
    Exactly!

WELL. I was supposed to have my appointment to sign the papers/convert it to a chapter 7. Lawyer called 3 hours before the scheduled meeting and said something has come up and that he would need to reschedule for 7-10 days out. When I pointed out that this would put us past the 15 day time frame, he stated that he would file a one time extension. WHAT!!! ???!!!
    You need to RUN, not WALK away from this attorney. You need to file an immediate complaint with the Bar. The other attorneys won't touch you because you're "represented" and it would be unethical. You need to figure out how to get an Emergency Ex-Parte Motion in front of the Judge to fire your attorney and petition the court to disgorge his fees (if they are in fact, unearned).

He then said that by the time they heard the motion to extend everything would already be filed so it would be a non issue. What the hell!!!
    He is a classic... staller.

I am so angry. I hate lawyers.
    You shouldn't. There are great attorneys out there (like MSbklawyer). Sometimes we just pick the wrong one. This attorney is clearly under-staffed or over-committed or just likes to live on the edge. You shouldn't suffer for that.
    Last edited by justbroke; 11-11-2009, 11:37 AM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Just called trustee office. I hope that wasn't a totally taboo thing to do. She seemed very helpful, took my number and email address. Said that she will have a supervisor call me back.

I am nervous that my lawyer is going to be pissed or that I just got him in trouble but ... I don't know what else to do. Short of paying another lawyer and hoping that I can get some of my money back from him.

Geez.

Comment

Just broke, You are absolutely correct. The other lawyers told me that they do not get involved in sub cases. Meaning when I have filed with representation!

ProSe?? eeekk...

Comment

Snowangel,

Sorry this must be so frustrating for you. Have you tried asking for your money back so that you can continue to look for the right lawyer for you even though all these lawyers advised you to stick with this one? I wouldn't the way you described about him and his service.

This is nuts. There has to be a better lawyer than all this for you. I hope it works out.
          Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
          Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

I think this atty is trying to set u up for hefty CH13 fees, then again for CH7 once you are converted....eeekk!!
            2009-Jan: Retained Atty
            2009-Oct: Filed Ch7
            2009-Nov: 341 held
            2010-Jan: Discharged on Pacer

Comment

I called the trustee office, not sure if they already called my lawyer. But he just called and couldn't complete a true sentence. He was stuttering over himself saying things like this has gone way way out of orbit. Never did say whether they called him but rattled off a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo and asked when the soonest i could come to his office was to finalize the file and convert it. ????

eeekk... I can only imagine they had to have called him!

Comment

Yep, someone called him. And no... it wasn't me!
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I called the trustee office, not sure if they already called my lawyer. But he just called and couldn't complete a true sentence. He was stuttering over himself saying things like this has gone way way out of orbit. Never did say whether they called him but rattled off a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo and asked when the soonest i could come to his office was to finalize the file and convert it. ????

LOL!!! Sounds like someone called him.....
                  May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                  May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                  May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                  9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

LOL thanks for the laugh guys/gals. I needed one. I just got back from his office. I still have no idea if they called him, I was too afraid to ask!

It took 2 hours .....I have no doubt in my mind that the reason this has happened is because he hadn't completed all the forms. He had to do most of them while I sat there and waited!!!!

However; 2 hours later and I signed everything and told it would be converted and we will get a date for our 341 shortly.

I am a bit nervous about what it looks like that I called the trustee's office and how it might/could affect our case. But am also grateful that this has now been filed.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X