Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I really mess up? Savings bonds

We have filed, have our 341 on 12/1/09.

We are BROKE and need to pay our car insurnace and do our BK education course. So, I cashed out $250 in savings bonds yesterday. Now, I'm second guessing myself.
    I declared them when we filed. Our attorney emailed me back and said I may have to repay the trustee the money, which is fine. But could something worse happen?
    Jen
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Ch 7 discharged 2/10

Are they from your IRA or 401k or a 529 college savings account? Or did you exempt them as cash equivalent assets? If you exempted them as cash equivalent assets, there is not an issue. If they were in your IRA or 401k then you will have to exempt them, but since the amount is so small, you will probably be able to come up with the exemptions to cover them.
    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Nope, they were just regular old US Savings bonds, not IRA or 401k or a 529. So I would assume they were listed as cash equivalent.
      Jen
      ~~~~~~~~~
      Ch 7 discharged 2/10

Comment

Originally posted by jrice View Post
        Nope, they were just regular old US Savings bonds, not IRA or 401k or a 529. So I would assume they were listed as cash equivalent.
        You are fine then if you exempted them. I do not see where your attorney is coming from.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

The worse thing would be that if they were not exempted -- which is different from just listing them -- then you may have to pay the Trustee $250.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X