Find Info on PACER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find Info on PACER

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything that would answer my question, I would assume it would have been asked already though.

Anyways, I am trying to find cases on pacer where Objections to Exemptions where filed and how those were resolved. I saw a number of members mentioning that they did a search like that, I couldn't figure out a way. Can anybody let me know how to perform a search like that? I am trying to find cases where Objection to Exemptions were filed by the trustee...
    Filed CH7 on Aug-06-2009 -- DONE!
    341 meeting on Oct-01-2009 -- DONE!
    Discharged on Nov-12-2009 -- DONE!
    Case Closed on Jun-15-2010 -- DONE!

Do not perform any global search on PACER. This is how you become a PACER-Addict and have the bills to prove it. Searching can get quite expensive, and searching through thousands of cases will cost you, easily, tens of dollars, and quite possibly a hundred if you do it wrong.

The best thing to do, is find where the Court Calendar is located on your District's website. Search the "calendar" for the entire year to date (01/01/2009 to 11/10/2009 or so). Then do a text search in your browser for cases with the word "EXEMPTION". Then look to see if it's an objection to exemption. If so, write down the case number. ALSO, most Districts include the "document" number on the Calendar. This way you'll know what to look for when you pull up that case's docket.

After you find a few, go to the Query screen on PACER and enter one of the case numbers. Then do History/Documents and get everything. Then look for the document number specified before.

It will take a little more finesse to figure out the ruling on that Objection. You could get a clue by looking at the "terminated date" on the docket and then find "Orders" that are around that date. Usually the order has a similar caption to the Objection/Motion.

Also, why are you doing this?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Wow, you are saving me a lot of money right there! Thank God, I did not become a PACER-addict, $6 since Oct-08 and I think I used PACER a lot, after I see the discharge, I am not planning to check in... but thanks for the warning, I bet I would run up a bill if I would do the search in PACER.

The reason I am doing this search is because I got an Objection to Exemptions 29 days after my 341, the trustee told my attorney that he is objecting just not to let go of those assets (objected to $4k car and $5k in checking accounts) just yet, in case, he might needed. He declared my case an asset case before the objection was filed and before the loan was knocked off of my house. Maybe that was to guarantee some distribution, I don't know. Anyways, I have about $22k in federal exemptions, not keeping my house, all my exemptions ran up to $16k or so, there should be no reason I am not allowed to keep those assets so I am trying to see if this attorney is known to hold assets just in case and also what usual resolutions were achieved in such situations. Just want to plan my actions ahead or at least figure out my options, my attorney is pretty expensive

Comment

I went to my district's website (http://www.wawb.uscourts.gov/) and couldn't find a search in the calendars section. Do you know if the calendar search is not available in all districts?

Comment

Originally posted by RBisDebtFree View Post
          I went to my district's website (http://www.wawb.uscourts.gov/) and couldn't find a search in the calendars section. Do you know if the calendar search is not available in all districts?
          First, yeah... looks like Washington's calendar function is for the birds.

It's under Calendars and then the Judge's name. So under Calendars, click a (your) Judge's name. On the Judge's "home page", click "Seattle Motion Calendars".

Then you'll see PDF files below with calendar dates. You should be able to open up those PDFs and check some things!

For example, look at Judge Paul B. Snyder and at his Tacoma Motion Calendars link. On the second PDF, November 12 2009 (Ch. 13).pdf, there's one Trustee Objection to Exemptions.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I guess I am out of luck here, my judge does not have any objection to exemptions on her calendar and I couldn't even find one where my trustee would file one and would be on any of the judges' calendars. Well, I'll have to wait for my attorney to come back from his vacation and talk to him about this next week.

Thank you for your time and help!

Comment

What about the one I just pointed you to? There's one case in there, albeit Chapter 13, with an Objection to Exemption.

Comment

That's the only one that I found but neither my judge nor my trustee is on that case. However, it seems like after the objection to exemptions, there was no fighting back from the debtor's side as there were bigger problems...

Comment

Okay, was just making sure you saw that one. If you live close to the District Court, you can use their FREE PACER terminals. Or, if there's a Law Library that you have access to, they usually have free access as well. If you do go to the District Court to use the FREE PACER terminals... be aware they charge as much as $0.50 a page to print something. So, if you are looking up stuff, bring a notepad to write down case numbers, party names, and docket entry numbers.

Comment

My next question is how do you know all of this stuff? Just kidding but oh boy you know a lot! I might actually have to end up doing a lot of my own research because my attorney can be pretty expensive (excellent attorney though, very happy with him). We'll see where it goes.

I found a few references to cases with Objections to Exemptions online in my district, with my trustee and with my judge. In all those cases, my trustee did the same thing as with myself and a little over a month after the objection was filed, he file a Report of No Distribution.

I don't exepect a report of no distribution (b/c of the house) but maybe he would just drop the objection. We'll see, I'll have to talk to my attorney first (briefly so it doesn't cost me $$$) and see from there, maybe he knows of a quick and inexpensive way to resolve this. He knows this trustee quite well.

Thank you once again!

Comment

Best of luck with you on your quest!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X