top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-discharge Debtor Education is absolutely GRUELING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-discharge Debtor Education is absolutely GRUELING!

I'm taking the 50-30-20 online class right now. This is the most unimpressive $14.95 I've spent in years! (Thanks to the BK Forum, I didn't spend $50!).

Okay, so I've "learned" how to calculate my net income. Are you kidding me? I filed for bankruptcy...shouldn't I have a grasp on my income?!

My favorite, thus far, is the nearly two minutes I was given to study a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet listed the days of the week including "Monady". Yes, you read that correctly (there is no typo on my behalf )!!

Oooh...I just had my first quiz. One possible answer was "Both A and C are true". Oddly, there isn't an "A" or a "C".

As recommended, I've assessed my needs and wants. I need this certificate and I want it to be over!!
    *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Originally posted by HakunaMatata View Post
    I'm taking the 50-30-20 online class right now. This is the most unimpressive $14.95 I've spent in years! (Thanks to the BK Forum, I didn't spend $50!).

Okay, so I've "learned" how to calculate my net income. Are you kidding me? I filed for bankruptcy...shouldn't I have a grasp on my income?!

My favorite, thus far, is the nearly two minutes I was given to study a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet listed the days of the week including "Monady". Yes, you read that correctly (there is no typo on my behalf )!!

Oooh...I just had my first quiz. One possible answer was "Both A and C are true". Oddly, there isn't an "A" or a "C".

As recommended, I've assessed my needs and wants. I need this certificate and I want it to be over!!
    Wait until you get to the chapter on balancing a checkbook and budgeting. Make sure you count our future celebration party binge as a "need".

Oh and please always look for sales, defer luxury purchases, keep track of all your expenses in a big nerdy looseleaf notebook, and forgo Starbucks for life.

You can count this post as your "cliff notes" or "spark notes" for your exam. I give you official permission to cheat as much as you can.
    Last edited by backtoschool; 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM.
    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

It hogwash. Everything I already knew, and wasted almost 4 hours of my life.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks "Cliff"! This is utterly frustrating to me! Hey, be nice, I've kept dorky spreadsheets for years!

Am I permitted to engage in pre-celebratory festivities? A nice glass of wine may make this process less tedious!
        *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by HakunaMatata View Post
          Thanks "Cliff"! This is utterly frustrating to me! Hey, be nice, I've kept dorky spreadsheets for years!

Am I permitted to engage in pre-celebratory festivities? A nice glass of wine may make this process less tedious!
          I think you should try to take the end of chapter tests by picking "C" for each question and then see how you do.

The company I took the online class with had a timer, and every time I tried to rush through a section, it would tell me I hadn't spent enough time in the section and had to go back.

So here is how my class went:

1. Try to take first test without reading anything. Get kicked back due to not spending any time on the chapter. Leave window open, make some coffee, and come back and answer the questions without reading anything. Pass first chapter.

2. Open second chapter. Try to avoid the timer smack-down by posting a few posts to the bkforum. Still end up getting the timer. Go to nytimes and read the headlines. Come back and answer the questions.

3. Actually read third chapter because it has numbers in it. Try to fast forward through the role-play videos. NO fast forward button on the class video player. Get more coffee. Take third test.

etc........

So basically, I feel your pain. I certainly thought the class was a huge waste of time.

Comment

Is everyone required to take that course? My lawyer hasn't mentioned anything of it... Can you foward the link (or web address) thanx!

Comment

Gosh, this company won't even permit me to rush through a page. Pre-set timer for EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Exciting trapped timings include multiple basic spreadsheets (with 1+ minute to view!).

Thus far, I brewed a fresh pot of coffee, had dinner, played with the pups, read a few MSN Money articles, noted spelling errors and poor punctuation on the pages, and posted here.

This is utterly ridiculous. Total scam, IMO.

I'm off to learn about organizing. Did you know...

Every home needs some type of organized system for storing important records. Important records need to be protected from such things as moisture, rodents and insects, fire, and theft. Storage can be almost anything, such as a:

cardboard or plastic storage box
              accordion folder
              drawer in a desk
              filing cabinet
              fire resistant metal box
              fireproof, burglarproof home safe
              safe deposit box

Wow! That cardboard box is really going to come in handy when my sewer backs up! You mean I can store items in my desk drawer AND my filing cabinet?!! Wow. Wow. WOW!!

If I need a paperclip in my house, I can find it.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FLstudent View Post
                Is everyone required to take that course? My lawyer hasn't mentioned anything of it... Can you foward the link (or web address) thanx!
                Yes, this is a requirement. You have to receive certification prior to filing and one before your discharge.

Numerous companies offer certification. I've used two different companies. My pre-filing course cost $50 and took approximately 15 minutes to complete. My pre-discharge course takes a minimum of two hours and costs $14.95.

Here is the website that stole two hours of my life :

Last edited by HakunaMatata; 11-11-2009, 08:31 PM.

Comment

We took the pre with CCC and it took about 30 minutes. They went through our debts and assets and said BK was the only feasible option. Next week we have to take a 2 hour class with them. Sounds like this will be fun!!!! Thanks for the heads up! In our district, this is the only acceptable option. The pre cost me $130 for both of us and the post is $70.

Comment

Nerves-

I, too, was deemed a BK candidate following my first course (with CCCS). Imagine that!

Your cost is absurd. I wish you had more options!

Good luck with round two! It's not pleasant! Be prepared (and don't let the notion of quizzes scare you). Have multiple web pages open so you can surf, catch up on email, and post here! And...don't forget coffee. Just make sure it's not Starbucks (as BTS mentioned). Unless, of course, Starbucks is classified as a need, not a want (in this case, NEED is warranted! ).

Comment

Unfortunately I don't get the option to complete on the net. We have to physically go to a 2 hour class I wonder if they would notice if I slipped a couple of shots into my soda

Comment

We did it via phone yesterday through Hananwill. It took a bit more than an hour and we just sat and listened to a guy talk. $45 for both of us. It was easy and pretty painless.
                        Jen
                        ~~~~~~~~~
                        Ch 7 discharged 2/10

Comment

My pre-filing course was very long since most of my debt was from my business and I had to keep explaining that over and over to the credit counselor. The course seemed geared toward consumer filing but IMO she did the best she could and it was VERY obvious that I needed to file BK.
                          Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
                          341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
                          Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

Pre-filing and post discharge classes are very different. The pre-filing class is short and easy. The post discharge class has a minimum amount of time that you have to spend in the class, so it is very long, and it is filled with tedious budgeting tips, advice about spending habits, and tips on how to live within your means.

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                              Pre-filing and post discharge classes are very different. The pre-filing class is short and easy. The post discharge class has a minimum amount of time that you have to spend in the class, so it is very long, and it is filled with tedious budgeting tips, advice about spending habits, and tips on how to live within your means.
                              My attorney has told me to get ready for that one, there is a timer for each class and you have to wait till it times out before continuing.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X