top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a job offer rescinded for bad credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a job offer rescinded for bad credit?

Hi All,
    My wife just got a good job offer and starts on the 30th. HR called with the offer on Friday and we're really excited. Big insurance company HQ. Should help us restart our life wonderfully.

...and we're terrified...that they'll run our credit.

They haven't pulled it yet (I checked) but her credit is in the dumper (550)because of our ch7 discharged in April.

Let me know if you've had any pre-employment issues come up regarding credit. Also, don't look for heartburn medicine in central michigan this month. I've bought all of it.

I just applied for a bank job. They told me if my credit was bad, I would not be considered.
    Filed 8-21-09
    341 10-9-09
    12-14-09 Discharged
    12-29-09 CLOSED!!!

Comment

I have read that this would affect lots of people applying for positions in banking and those dealing with or having access to large amounts of cash.

I did have a collector border on threatening me....said if I continued to ignore this debt of $3k, my life would be hard, i would have a hard time finding employment, etc. and I told him, well if I don't find employment, then you'll NEVER get the $3k. Have to have money to pay right?

Comment

She accepted a job conditionally but you haven't listed the conditions. What is the employer checking for? If she fears losing the offer over a bk I would suggest she call the HR contact and discuss it with that person asap.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Can they do that legally?
          I came across an a/c job that says they'll run a credit check so I didn't even bother applying.

What in the hell does my credit have to do with doing a technical job?

Comment

Originally posted by tinfoilhat View Post
            Can they do that legally?
            I came across an a/c job that says they'll run a credit check so I didn't even bother applying.

What in the hell does my credit have to do with doing a technical job?
            Nothing. I don't think it's an issue. You should have applied for the job if you wanted it.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

If the job application asked if she ever filed bankruptcy and she answered truthfully I wouldn't worry about it. Companies have funny way of making sure they get the people they want regardless of what the rules say.

Comment

My wife's new job is 'research' related, so I don't see how it will handle cash.

We'd like an opportunity to bring the subject up and put a good spin on it ('business failed, non-consumer' etc. ) ..but on the other hand, we don't want to jinx it if they weren't going to check.

Comment

Freeze

You could put a freeze on your credit report at each of the 3 CAs if state law allows. A lot of people do this anyway to avoid potential identity theft issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Mi View Post
                    My wife's new job is 'research' related, so I don't see how it will handle cash.

We'd like an opportunity to bring the subject up and put a good spin on it ('business failed, non-consumer' etc. ) ..but on the other hand, we don't want to jinx it if they weren't going to check.
                    I wouldn't bring it up unless someone says something to you. Why open yourself up to looking bad? If she said "no" in her application and then filed after filing out her application and then she is questioned about it, you have the opportunity to address their concern. Just tell her to have her story together incase she is asked.

She could even say both of you did a financial analysis of your current income to debt ratio and decided it would take you 30 years to pay off debts and then you would'nt have any money left over for retirement so you made the tuff decision to file and invest yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mi Bankruptcy View Post
                      I wouldn't bring it up unless someone says something to you. Why open yourself up to looking bad? If she said "no" in her application and then filed after filing out her application and then she is questioned about it, you have the opportunity to address their concern. Just tell her to have her story together incase she is asked.

She could even say both of you did a financial analysis of your current income to debt ratio and decided it would take you 30 years to pay off debts and then you would'nt have any money left over for retirement so you made the tuff decision to file and invest yourself.
                      Thanks. Their application says nothing about credit. Just a checkbox at the bottom saying
                      "I agree to blah blah blah ..and a criminal background check, and consumer credit check... blah blah "
                      But they haven't pulled her credit yet, and she accepted the offer over the phone.

Comment

ready2live, what kind of bank job was it? would you have handled cash?
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09
                        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                          ready2live, what kind of bank job was it? would you have handled cash?
                          yes, just a teller. Another girl that works there said they would look at the fact that we have never been late on anything prior to filing. I am hoping that helps. It is a great paying bank and I need a job BAD!

Oh, and the application never even asked if I have ever filed.
                          Filed 8-21-09
                          341 10-9-09
                          12-14-09 Discharged
                          12-29-09 CLOSED!!!

Comment

An insurance company headquarters will most likely pull your credit as part of a background check. If your wife is not working directly with money it probably will not end up being an issue.

Choicepoint is often the company used to do employment background checks. If you check your credit report in the next couple of days, you will know if they pulled the credit.
                            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Seriously this stuff should be ILLEGAL. I know a credit report is always part of a background check, but if you committed a crime, it would show up on your criminal history.

Filing BK is not a crime, it is a personal decision, and does not reflect on how a person can do their job. Especially in this economy. And for banks to call people irresponsible in these times is definitely calling the kettle black.

I am in the mortgage business and my income has declined almost 50% over the last 3 years. I had no choice after robbing Peter to pay Paul for 3 years to file. Now I am finding out that the state I do business in (and where my company is located) has increased the certification requirements. No problem, but now they will check my credit. I won't even be discharged when this happens. I'm so worried about not being able to keep my job now, and I did nothing illegal, nothing I couldn't avoid, and nothing that affected how I work.

I swear I will hire an attorney and fight it if they deny my license because of my BK.
                              Once you lose everything you're free to do anything.
                              Filed 10/06/2009
                              341 11/12/2009
                              Discharged 1/15/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X