top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a job offer rescinded for bad credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was turned down for a job due to bad credit...and the job had nothing to do with any sort of handling of Receiveables....it was for an "Expense Report Auditor" position with a big engineering firm.....and I was turned down after having been there for 5 months as a Contractor through a placement agency.....

Comment

NHC-- please write your state senator and congressman. They are going to try to outlaw this in this upcoming session.

Comment

My job offer was literally rescinded today at Gallagher Benefit Systems because of my bankruptcy. It was a job in the insurance industry (I'm a teacher but can't find a teaching post in Seattle to save my life* but decided to return to the insurance industry as it's the only other industry I've ever worked in over 15 years ago). It was a job with a massive cut in pay (only $36K/year) but closeby and benefits. Went through four rounds of interviews, great references, signed a contract (I even told them that I had declared bankruptcy during the contract negotiations). Everything was great and I was slated to begin and today while thinking I would start work tomorrow, I get an email with the subject JOB OFFER RESCINDED and explaining that I had declared bankruptcy so I was ineligible to work and that they expected all of their employees to have good credit. It was a data entry like position. I'm really angry but I'm also glad because it really was below my education/experience level (and I was just trying to do anything just to bring extra money into the household).
        The job has nothing to do with credit, it was primarily data entry and helping customers with their health insurance claims.
        Oh well, back to substitute teaching in the pack.

*taught at rather elite state run high schools, colleges and universities in Europe. My referees are always stunned that I can't find teaching work here but I think that because of my age, early 40s, people assume I must be too expensive. Why hire an experienced person when you can get someone for 1/4th the price just out of college?
        Chapter 13 Filed Nov 12, 2009
        Converted to Chapter 7
        341 Meeting December 29, 2009
        Tentative Discharge March 1, 2010

Comment

Farmers Insurance runs ads for agents, hubby was working for Aflack since car F&I and Sales Manager jobs are not around. Anyhow, Farmers told him they would not hire him because of his BK. So it is happening.

Comment

can someone explain the connection between insurance and bk? why do you need good credit to be a good insurance agent?
            filed ch7 May 09
            341 june 09
            discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

I can not explain it at all. But with Farmers I think their plan is to set you up as an independant agent over time, so they might feel you can not run and office after a BK? It would be interesting to find out the states. Mine is the good ole conservative over the top state of Missouri, we are number one is child abuse, and number one is complaining about abortions or healthcare.. lol So, I would guess we would be a state that ignores human decency. Are there states that are not allowing this? We may have to move as we can not live on my income? Can we post something about this so we can get feed back on states??

Comment

my BIL had a job rescinded for just having bad credit- not even a BK! It was just for a self-storage manager type job in a small town too.

It's bound to happen though. The employer usually won't say "we won't hire you because you filed" but they can certainly find a "better qualified applicant" should they so decide.
                Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Music.. I have the answer. When I got home I asked hubby. Farmers deals in securities and they told him he can not get a license to deal securities after a BK, so they would not hire him. I have not checked into that yet, but I will. So, there is a way around the laws I guess.

Comment

thank you momisery

just googled securities license; looks like either bankruptcy or a criminal record would disqualify someone from getting this license. i really don't understand why. someone like madoff never filed bankruptcy, right??? i would understand it if the bk somehow involved fraud. but in 99% of the cases it doesn't. anybody on this forum would be more upstanding than probably most people who have this kind of license. jmho.
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09

Comment

Do you think that an employer shouldn't consider the decisions that you've made with your own finances when getting ready to offer you a position? The employer is considering putting you in a position of trust. They use many things to gauge whether or not they believe that you will make good decisions with their data, money or just business in general.

As a person that hires and a person who has been there, I find that bankruptcy won't eliminate someone from my search but it is a red flag to me. If the bankruptcy is several years old, then I consider the track record since the bankruptcy.

The job you are interviewing for today credit may not matter but what about the job you may get promoted into? Ross Perot who ran EDS for many years wouldn't hire smokers. He defended this by saying people that make bad decisions with their own health are more likely to make bad decisions that his business depended on.

Comment

well, i guess one would have to know why a person filed to figure out whether it's a negative or positive. in my case, i actually never got into debt at all. a few crooky lawyers and a biased judge managed to get a 6-figure judgment against me even while admitting that i actually owed nothing. yet it was there, signed and sealed. so at least for me, the bk wasn't a result of a financial mishap. i certainly learned a lot from it, but none of what i learned was about finances. and there are many people out there who file for medical debt, which is something that really should not be raising a red flag at all.

and, as an employer you probably know that it's illegal to consider bk in itself as a factor in hiring decisions. i know, though, that this is impossible to enforce and everybody does it. the fact that people almost never follow the law is one of those non-financial things i learned in the process.
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09

Comment

I actually hold securities licenses, and they were not revoked because of my BK. They are reportable to FINRA- but it's not a statutory disqualification.

A felony is.

There's a lot of people that say you can't have a job in financials and file BK- and frankly, it's not true- unless you're new to the job.

If you've been in the business, you'll be fine.

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                          thank you momisery

just googled securities license; looks like either bankruptcy or a criminal record would disqualify someone from getting this license. i really don't understand why. someone like madoff never filed bankruptcy, right??? i would understand it if the bk somehow involved fraud. but in 99% of the cases it doesn't. anybody on this forum would be more upstanding than probably most people who have this kind of license. jmho.
                          Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
                          341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
                          Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
                          Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

From what I am reading they do not revoke them, but getting the bond is the hard part so that could be what it is. And concerning the BK and a job, I was never late, never bounced a check. Hubby and I have been married only since 2001 and he and I had great credit. So, being almost 60 with that record, and one recent mess up destroys our life as being a RISK???? Why would the employers not look back prior to the mess Wall street made? And I agree Madoff did not file, nor have many others who are enjoying the same type of fancy luxuy prison... are they trust worthy? Looks to me more like if your not caught you good....

Comment

Maybe we should have stole things so we could pay our bills, then he could find a job like Madoff did.

Comment

Originally posted by Bell30656 View Post
                                Do you think that an employer shouldn't consider the decisions that you've made with your own finances when getting ready to offer you a position? The employer is considering putting you in a position of trust. They use many things to gauge whether or not they believe that you will make good decisions with their data, money or just business in general.

As a person that hires and a person who has been there, I find that bankruptcy won't eliminate someone from my search but it is a red flag to me. If the bankruptcy is several years old, then I consider the track record since the bankruptcy.

The job you are interviewing for today credit may not matter but what about the job you may get promoted into? Ross Perot who ran EDS for many years wouldn't hire smokers. He defended this by saying people that make bad decisions with their own health are more likely to make bad decisions that his business depended on.
                                Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black???? You admit that you have prejudices towards filers and your one yourself... NICE
                                Filed CH 7 12/1/2009
                                341 Meeting 01/20/2010
                                Discharged 3/22/2010
                                Closed 3/29/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X