No announcement yet.

Why we face a personal economic disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And THIS is usually where it breaks down.

We debate real issues in online forums, in person, at the office, at town hall meetings. . . and so on.

But, eventually, the ingrained "political messages" we have had forced into our heads rear up. We shift from real debate and crouch into positions of attack and defense. All based on ideological points of view that have been spoonfed to Americans by each of the political parties.

Meanwhile, the parties laugh to the bank, cowtow to Wall Street and other financial supporters (regardless of being "left" or "right").

Thus, their job is done. The masses shift the argument from reality to political diversion and the machine rolls ons.

People get distracted from the real problem and become vicious partisans, regardless of party, while the REAL party rolls on in DC. And by party, I mean the dance over the graves of America by the politicians of both parties.

And the lobbyists laugh while their employers reap the benefits-from both sides.
    11-20-09-- Filed Chapter 7
    12-23-09-- 341 Meeting-Early Christmas Gift?
    3-9-10--Discharged

Comment

Definitely true.
      Last edited by shabam; 12-03-2009, 09:12 PM.
      My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
      posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Originally posted by shabam View Post
        Protectionism caused the great depression. Since we also trade in the world, it would also hurt us. I do agree that we do need changes since it's almost impossible to compete with places like China, where the federal government runs everything.

What I do like is the VAT. Most successful nations now use it. Since we no longer produce even a fraction of the things we purchase, we should tax all goods and services. Having people purchase hundreds of billions of dollars worth of foreign made items does nothing for our economy and even lead a number of us here.

One of the problems is that corporations and the private sector are permitted to do whatever they please, in the name of a profit.
        What I suggest is not a random % tariff on all goods from a country. It would be tied to some sort of average working wage for a given product/profession and to the environmental/cost of business. So domestic companies could not raise wages/benefits to something that is way above average.

If every country paid their workers within the same range, adhered to the same high environmental standards and benefits, the tariff would go away. But if a product is made paying workers at slave labor rates, dumping toxins into rivers, and not paying benefits to workers, than the tariff would be high.
        It would be based on individual product, not everything from a country.

It would just protect industries from slave labor, subsidized products, and overseas business environments with lower environmental standards. A domestic company could not rest easy and give ever increasing raises and increased benefits on a whim. They need to be within an acceptable range of pay and benefits or if they are on the high end, they need to produce a higher quality product.

Protectionism did not bring on the depression by itself.
        March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
        Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

I hope not. China is not some Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Japan or Germany we can push around. We are talking about 1.34 Billion people here. A country that now owns 1.2 trillion US dollars.
          Actually, they control alot of the raw materials as well. It's time we nip that in the bud. Otherwise they will indirectly dictate policy in our country due to our ever increasing reliance on them for trade and for loans.
          March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
          Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

Originally posted by TooMuchCredit View Post
            Actually, they control alot of the raw materials as well. It's time we nip that in the bud. Otherwise they will indirectly dictate policy in our country due to our ever increasing reliance on them for trade and for loans.
            They already do. When the President sends Hillary Clinton over there to beg them to buy U.S. Treasuries... you know who's running the show then!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Protectionism caused the great depression. Since we also trade in the world, it would also hurt us. I do agree that we do need changes since it's almost impossible to compete with places like China, where the federal government runs everything.

What I do like is the VAT. Since we no longer produce even a fraction of the things we purchase, we should tax all goods and services. Having people purchase hundreds of billions of dollars worth of foreign made items does nothing for our economy and even lead a number of us here.
              I agree to tax all China imports 200% at least.
              It will make companies produce goods here at home.
              Hope is in our way. After BK!

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeMike View Post
                I agree to tax all China imports 200% at least.
                It will make companies produce goods here at home.
                You mean, make them return home, right?
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Yes, I don't want to travel for work to China on monthly basis.
                  Hope is in our way. After BK!

Comment

The US could simply file bankruptcy on the trade deficents with China since China can not be bothered to be realistic about her currency? LOL The great depression was caused by a run on the banks and a crash in the stock markets. It was later that protectionism made its debute. Couple with that there were no programs to help the unemployed or underemployed, we did not even have SS at that time. My first DDS visit was when I was 12 and only because the school made us go before becoming freshmen in highschool. I never had a small pox vacine, polio series yes. But I had all the other diseases instead of a shot against them. Many kids died or has huge problems from the diseases back in the 50's. Today, we try to take better care of ourselves and our families which is the path to being civilized. Are there some that are milking the system, I would say yes.. But there are some who are milking the Bankruptcy system too so should we shut it down and refuse its use to everyone? Credit training is what pushed a lot of people over the top. By that I mean being taught that you use the credit card, the credit built up in your home, and your fico score to buys the things you can not afford. If we did not do that the economy would never have been robust because we are driven 2/3rds by our ability to buy. If everyone choses to not buy... we will never bouce back has been the problem in the past. Today, we can buy and unless it is homes or something made here we do our own economy little good. JMHO... We need more jobs in mfg and I would love to see a shift towards wind farms, nuclear power plants, electic cars or cars that run on gases from cows... lol who cares as long as we go back to making things here. And I work white collar, so the jobs would not be for me. But those jobs are the ones we have lost, the blue collar jobs. I will not talk to anyone on the phone that does not speak english ever again period. If they want my business they will have to let me work with a service center here in the good ole USA.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X