top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can chapter 7 be used as leverage to negotiate with the creditor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clouddancer View Post
    What difference does the lien make during BK other then a little more paperwork to remove it after the BK?
    You can only remove a lien, through Bankrupty, if the lien impairs some underlying exemption (11 USC 522(f)). That means, that if the lien attaches to some real or personal property that you own, and the lien doesn't impair an exemption or some "part" of the exemption... the lien sticks!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

So if I understand it correctly, the idea here is that you can negotiate a settlement with a creditor, and NOT file, or you can file and not negotiate.

But if you settle with one creditor, and then file against a group of other creditors, you'll have a preference issue.

Makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by squeeze View Post
        So if I understand it correctly, the idea here is that you can negotiate a settlement with a creditor, and NOT file, or you can file and not negotiate.

But if you settle with one creditor, and then file against a group of other creditors, you'll have a preference issue.

Makes sense!
        That pretty much sums it up. And if you are found to have given a preference payment, then the preferred creditor has to pay that money back to the trustee and get in line with everyone else.
        Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Don't forget the tax consequences you'll have to pay the tax on all the unpaid forgiven balances. Can you afford that?

Comment

Can you please elaborate? What kinds of tax consequences occur, and when do they occur?

Comment

Can you please elaborate? What kinds of tax consequences occur, and when do they occur?
              If a creditor "settles" with you, agreeing not to pursue collection, then the creditor must file an IRS Form 1099-C with the IRS. This creates a tax liability for the taxpayer on the amount that is the difference between what they settled for and what they owed! The IRS treats it as regular income received in the year in which the debt was forgiven.

If you can prove insolvency, you should be able to shed any tax liability. If you end up with 1099-Cs or are expecting to receive them, you should talk with a tax professional on the tax consequences.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

wtf?

You mean that a negotiated settlement creates negative tax consequences? You use the example of a bank. In my case, it's with advertising agencies.

Let me see if I have this right. The default judgment is for hundreds of thousands. If I negotiate a 10% settlement, then the remaining 90% is taxable? And if so, at what tax rate?

Is this what you're saying, or do I have this wrong?

Comment

yup, that's the way it is. i think the tax rate is the regular income tax rate.

if all you can afford is 10%, then you can't afford a settlement, because income tax is, well, more than that. so even if they said they are wiling to forget the whole thing (yeah, right) you'd owe uncle sam around 30% of that. then you'd have to wait at least 3 years before filing bk in order to discharge those 30%.

sounds like bk is your only option.
                  filed ch7 May 09
                  341 june 09
                  discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

well, i guess that settles it.

bk here we come

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                      You can only remove a lien, through Bankrupty, if the lien impairs some underlying exemption (11 USC 522(f)). That means, that if the lien attaches to some real or personal property that you own, and the lien doesn't impair an exemption or some "part" of the exemption... the lien sticks!
                      So a lien shouldn't in most cases affect a homestead.

Comment

Originally posted by Clouddancer View Post
                        So a lien shouldn't in most cases affect a homestead.
                        This depends on several factors. If you are in a State like Florida, that enjoys an unlimited homestead exemption, the homestead is protected. If you're in a State with limited homestead exemptions then you may not be able to protect the homestead.

The key is that you would still need to "avoid" the lien by filing the appropriate motion (11 USC 522(f)) in the Bankruptcy court and then domesticate that order with the local courts, once granted. This is so that you can quash/void that lien that's impairing the homestead protection.

Also, be wary that a recorded judgment lien attaches to all personal property, so cars, boats, and other things of value may be attached. Some things, like "household goods" enjoy protection under the BK code, but a motion to avoid lien (11 USC 522(f)) still must be done.

Comment

Yeah, it's amazing how extremely powerful doing a BK really is. I wonder how this country would be without having businesses and individuals given the opp to file.

People have been threatened with all kinds of lawsuits, garnishments, judgements, etc. But filing BK can rid of all that... pretty amazing if you ask me.

The only thing better I can think of is a "President's Pardon"... but being able to file BK is a close 2nd!
                          Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

wtf?

You mean that a negotiated settlement creates negative tax consequences? You use the example of a bank. In my case, it's with advertising agencies.

Let me see if I have this right. The default judgment is for hundreds of thousands. If I negotiate a 10% settlement, then the remaining 90% is taxable? And if so, at what tax rate?

Is this what you're saying, or do I have this wrong?
                            If you are insolvent when the debt is forgiven on a 1099c you can avoid taxes on all or part of the amount forgiven - see IRS form 982

Comment

Originally posted by billf View Post
                              If you are insolvent when the debt is forgiven on a 1099c you can avoid taxes on all or part of the amount forgiven - see IRS form 982
                              Yes, we all know that. The point is, you have to address it on your taxes, also, IRS insolvency is a bit more complex than most people think. Many who "think" they are insolvent, really aren't.

Comment

Yes, we all know that.

Actually, we don't all know that.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've only been thinking about bankruptcy for a few weeks and have more questions than answers. So, any clarification about the tax issues associated with life post chapter 7 would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X