Vehicle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle Question

Okay...We have an old car that we said we would surrender back to CitiFinancial as part as the secured loan that was taken out. I think they called one of the paralegals today to see when we would surrender it back to them. Do we just take it the local office and leave it?
    Filed Ch7: December 02, 2009
    341 Meeting: January 06, 2010

Call them and make arrangements for drop off of the vehicle or for them to send someone to you to pick up the vehicle. Whatever makes you most comfortable.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I think the dropping off will make me feel more comfortable. I will call and make arrangements.

Comment

Okay. I just called and as I was making arrangements; he asked if I would be willing to purchase my vehicle back(since title is in their hands) for $2,000. It's valued at about $2350.00. The loan balance from the loan(which we received money, and put car for collateral because it was an older car..) is roughly $16,000. Is this even a legal transaction being that i filed bankruptcy on the 2nd and we put down that we would surrender the car back??
        Do you guys think I should just let them have it?? We have other vehicles in place...

Comment

Originally posted by youngbroke View Post
          Okay. I just called and as I was making arrangements; he asked if I would be willing to purchase my vehicle back(since title is in their hands) for $2,000. It's valued at about $2350.00. The loan balance from the loan(which we received money, and put car for collateral because it was an older car..) is roughly $16,000. Is this even a legal transaction being that i filed bankruptcy on the 2nd and we put down that we would surrender the car back??
          Yes, this is called a Redemption. This may be the first that I heard the creditor initiating one!

If they want to do that, you need to file a Motion to Redeem (sample form from Indiana). Do not just hand them $2K. You want to make sure it's all above board. You may also want to negotiate the price down to $1,500 - $1,800 just to see their "appetite". They are about to get a car for which they are "stuck" with that they will probably get less than $1,500 for at auction.

If you really don't care about the car, then let it go.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks everyone....I'm awaiting response from my lawyer and I did tell them that if we could get it closer to $1600, we would think about it. I just don't want anything to stop me from being able to discharge the rest or stopping my bankruptcy because of it; because I will just give it back if it is going to cause any issues....
            Thanks, you guys and gals are the best.....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X