Bankruptcy Posting in the Local Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy Posting in the Local Paper

Yesterday our local newspaper posted our bankruptcy in their paper. I had been dreading the day for that to happen due to my job. When I seen it - I thought so what - I am too tired and worn down to even care anymore. I went to work today and went about business as usual. I thought for sure I would receive some stares and hear some wispering, but to my surprise - it didn't happen. I told my boss a few weeks ago (it was mandatory due to my licensing) and he was very supportive. Who knows what is coming but whatever it is - so be it.

The other day I finally told my best friend and she said I am probably not too far behind you.

Now that it is been published for the world to see - I will be able to really see who my true friends are.

Right now I have other issues wasting my time that need addressed and I don't have the time or energy to deal with those that want to judge before walking in my shoes.

Originally posted by nerves View Post
    Yesterday our local newspaper posted our bankruptcy in their paper. I had been dreading the day for that to happen due to my job. When I seen it - I thought so what - I am too tired and worn down to even care anymore. I went to work today and went about business as usual. I thought for sure I would receive some stares and hear some wispering, but to my surprise - it didn't happen. I told my boss a few weeks ago (it was mandatory due to my licensing) and he was very supportive. Who knows what is coming but whatever it is - so be it.

The other day I finally told my best friend and she said I am probably not too far behind you.

Now that it is been published for the world to see - I will be able to really see who my true friends are.

Right now I have other issues wasting my time that need addressed and I don't have the time or energy to deal with those that want to judge before walking in my shoes.
    And a big "supportive" hug to you from me as well!! Keep your chin up for your friends to see.

Comment

Thank you Widdle. I appreciate the "hug" We can all use them from time to time.

Comment

When you start to talk with friends or family you'll find that many are either one step ahead or a step behind them when it comes to BK. I know this has been the experience I have had talking about our situation. Over the past 2 years I know of 7 people to file BK. Before that I knew of nobody that had filed BK.
        Stopped Payings CC's: 8/14/2009 | Retained Attorney: 9/23/2009 | Filed CH 7: 12/7/2009 | 341 Meeting: 1/21/2010 - Complete | Discharged: 4/9/2010
        "One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth."

Comment

believe it or not, most people wouldn't think to look at the bankruptcy listings in the papers. the only people who look there are those thinking about bk and a few peeping toms.

i mean seriously, before you started thinking about bk, did you ever look there? i would never have even thought about it.

unfortunately, that means you won't really find out who your true friends are, because they haven't seen the paper...

but, if the paper is googleable, then eventually many people who know you will know because they will have googled you...
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Exactly. I ran into a friend of mine last week that I had not seen for about a year. He was a good enough friend that when he asked what was going on, I told him. He knew some of my situation and when I told him that I had filed a 7 a couple weeks ago, he just laughed. Said he did the same thing a few months ago and it went well.

So many people are wearing the same pair of shoes right now. Hold your head up and go about your business.
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
            Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Great attitude, Nerves!

As others have mentioned, I doubt there are many who study the bankruptcy section of the newspaper. Consider yourself listed in the reputable business section. You've made a wise business decision which will provide a successful financial future.

As I was pondering BK, I was rather candid while soliciting advice. Initially, I was shocked to discover numerous individuals who had filed or were in the process of filing. The unwarranted stigma readily lifted; and, I'm no longer surprised by such actions. As others shared their stories of success (many deeming BK as the "best decision I've made"), I embraced the supportive reasoning and settled into a business-minded focus. BK can be a difficult decision and I commend those who take action to move financially forward.
              *Filed: September 23, 2009 *341: November 4, 2009 *Discharged: January 4, 2010 *Closed: January 20, 2010

Hakuna Matata...it means NO WORRIES!

Comment

First of all, big *hugs*

Second, I want to say something. I took a completely different tack, based on my lifelong philosophy that the best way to deal with being embarrassed is to stand in the middle of the room and let everybody look at you.

I told everyone. All my clients, all my partners, all my vendors, all my friends.

Other than one notable exception, no one has replied in any way other than supportive. One of my clients, CIO at a large public company, even offered to give me more hours (I'm a consultant) to help with rebuilding my life. I teared up and couldn't speak when he said that.

I was so afraid of the stigma. Instead I have received nothing but warmth and even in some cases a hint of grudging respect for going through the process. At least a couple of folks said they were thinking about it too. This meltdown has been much more severe than anyone gives it credit for.

Comment

"but, if the paper is googleable, then eventually many people who know you will know because they will have googled you..."

i dont think so...cause the search crawlers dont crawl through the classified sections...now if the info was published in free space then certainly...

this is my understanding..
                  johny
                  c7 nov 06 2009

341 - dec 16 2009

Comment

oh, i didn't know that. thanx
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09
                    discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                      believe it or not, most people wouldn't think to look at the bankruptcy listings in the papers. the only people who look there are those thinking about bk and a few peeping toms.

i mean seriously, before you started thinking about bk, did you ever look there? i would never have even thought about it.

unfortunately, that means you won't really find out who your true friends are, because they haven't seen the paper...

but, if the paper is googleable, then eventually many people who know you will know because they will have googled you...
                      Should be:

....believe it or not, the only people who look there are those "wondering if their name shows up"......

Comment

Originally posted by johny View Post
                        "but, if the paper is googleable, then eventually many people who know you will know because they will have googled you..."

i dont think so...cause the search crawlers dont crawl through the classified sections...now if the info was published in free space then certainly...

this is my understanding..
                        johny

If your name is quoted in any newspaper, publication or magazine for any reason and someone googles your name, up comes the article or posting; that includes names listed for filing bankruptcy published in any newspaper. In our state newspaper, bankruptcy listings for 7's, 13's and 11's are published in the Sunday paper in the business section, right next to the stock quotes. Listed are the names of the filers, the home town and the amount of assets and debts. Other public information such as births, engagements, obituaries, arrests, etc. are published in the Local section.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement. I will be so thrilled when this is over and we can really have a fresh start. Merry Christmas to all.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X