top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does the court or trustee look into DMV records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does the court or trustee look into DMV records?

Just as the title says. Does the trustee or court look into DMV records? If so, how far back? I ask because I had an old chevy truck that I parted out a couple of years ago. The registration expierd in 08 so I just left it at that.
    Am I going to have to explaine what happend to this vehical? Do i need to list it some where, or just wait untill asked and then explain where it went?
    So far all my questions have been vehical related.. I guess thats what happens when you are a mechanic lol!!!

oh sorry, chapter 7 in colorado

Don't know the answer to whether the trustee can or will look into DMV records, but as in all things bankruptcy related, honesty is your best approach.

If you have an attorney, I'd mention it to them and see how they want to handle. Your attorney may want to list the vehicle as an asset with 0 valie. Then if the trustee has any questions you can give your story. It seems entirely straightforward so I don't really see a problem.

You generally get into trouble when you're trying to hide assets, in this case you have no asset to hide so I don't foresee a big problem.
    Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

While this depends on the Trustee, and whether they believe there are some unscheduled assets... they can do a DMV check to find titles for vehicles. Believe it or not, I just checked mine and it shows 4 vehicles (1 from 2002 and one from 2003) that I no longer own!!! So, if the Trustee had checked, I could easily explain as I traded one of those vehicles in and sold the other a long time ago.

As Bob wrote, work with your attorney and probably list it with little value and make sure you list the condition. If the Trustee wants it, let them have the parts.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X